Jobs, Classes, and Travels

What Parker Students Did This Summer

Photo credit: Skyelar Harris

Harris and other Travel for Teens program members in Costa Rica. Photo courtesy of Skyelar Harris.

After stepping outside to enjoy the warm Chicago summer while leaving old books and crumpled notepads at home, many Parker students felt optimism is in the air knowing this summer was going to look a lot different than last year’s. As businesses reopened under Phase Five of COVID-19 protocols in Chicago, some students returned to sitting in restaurants and hopping on planes. Although doors are beginning to open again, many industries, companies, and schools have had to change what their ‘normal’ looks like as they adapt to the Delta Variant. Nevertheless, Parker students wanting to make the best of these experiences was at the top of their summer bucket lists. 

Junior Lavanya Goyal said her mission was to grow and reflect on the world around her. This summer, she had decided to enroll in a summer school program as well as get a job at a local ice skating rink called Iceland. 

Goyal enrolled in multiple courses at Northwestern and is working hard to get good grades in hopes of gaining college credit. Due to COVID-19 all Northwestern classes remained online for the summer quarter. Aside from the basics, she also shared how these experiences helped her grow as a person as well as prepared her to step outside her comfort zone. 

“These new and different types of responsibilities definitely helped me learn valuable skills and lessons as I get ready to leave Parker and step out into the real world,” Goyal said. “I have done summer courses before, but doing multiple, with the addition of a job, was definitely harder than past experiences. It really helped me learn how to balance my time properly.” 

She also remarked on the amount of freedom she was given. “Everything is on your shoulders, there is no one grading your work or watching over you constantly,” Goyal said.

Senior Cece Lopez said her goal was to find connections with people who would help teach her skills she could apply in the long run. Although going to work may not be as fun for others, Lopez said her summer job as a hostess “was a great experience.” “I’ve learned so many new skills that are both important to my job and the real world,” Lopez said. 

Lopez said wasn’t only seeking the knowledge but looking to find people with experience working in various fields. “I’ve been blessed to work with so many amazing, kind, talented, and hardworking people that have been great mentors,” Lopez said. She said that in the future, she wishes to be what these people had been for her, a life-changing mentor. 

Sophomore Skyelar Harris was also looking for independence as well as an adventure. Harris enrolled in a program called Travel for Teens where a group of teens from all over the world experiences unique activities and immerses themselves in different cultures. Harris enrolled in their 10 day trip to Costa Rica in hopes of gaining new experiences as well as friends. During her time there, the group engaged in outdoor activities such as snorkeling, zip lining, rock climbing, horseback riding, and canyoning. The activities helped the group experience all of what Costa Rica has to offer. “It was so fun and I loved every minute of every activity,” Harris said. In addition to sightseeing, Harris also appreciated doing the activities with her fellow group members. “I met a ton of awesome people, and we made memories to last a lifetime,” Harris said. She wishes to keep in touch with the people she had met, and hopefully enroll in another program again soon.