Eating Out and About

Where Students and Staff Are Getting Lunch Outside of Parker

Photo credit: Sadie Gallagher

Del Seoul Korean Street BBQ, a Parker favorite. 2568 N Clark Street. Photo by Sadie Gallagher.

With most students vaccinated and back in school for the 2021-2022 school year, students regained many of their old pre-COVID privileges and routines. The much loved activity of getting lunch outside of school in the Lincoln Park area is back. With this privilege regained, students and staff are taking the opportunity to get back out into the neighborhood and try out some new bites.

“I am very happy to have the advantage of going out for lunch this year,” Upper School history teacher Dan Greenstone said. “It’s a simple way to get exercise, take a break from the mask, and get some great food.” Greenstone has tried numerous places that are walkable from the Parker area. His most common spots are Sultan’s Market, Collectivo, Del Seoul, and Subway.

“I try to eat vegetarian and Sultan’s Market has great options,” Greenstone said. “I love their falafel and have tried the vegetarian platter.” Just down the street, Greenstone also enjoys the tofu tacos from Del Seoul or a nice coffee from Collectivo.

Aside from teachers, if the new schedule allows, many students love eating out. Junior Daniel Silets said he feels lucky that his schedule does give him the time to leave Parker for food. He has tried Cilantro, Subway, and Velvet Taco.

“Velvet Taco smacks,” Silets said. “I seriously recommend it to everyone, especially the buffalo chicken tacos.” Silets also suggests the Al Pastor Tacos from Cilantro. “Luckily, I have the F period break,” Silets adds, “but if I didn’t, I definitely wouldn’t have time to go out for lunch.” 

Massimo Franco, a sophomore, hasn’t been able to go out for lunch due to not having long enough breaks. “Usually there is not enough time,” Franco said, “and there only would be if you have a free block before or after lunch.”

Some simpler options Franco suggested for students with shorter breaks are Starbucks and Dunkin’. “Although they are simple, they still have great options,” Franco said.

With the opportunity to get fresh air, take their masks off, and grab a bite to eat, many students like Silets and Franco are excited for school and the breaks they get. “It is awesome to not sit in my bed and occasionally stumble to my kitchen,” Silets said, “going out and about makes the day far better.”