Colonels to College Athletics

Juniors Ana Franco and Payton Pitts receive D1 Athletic Offers

Photo credit: Payton Pitts & Ana Franco

Payton Pitts ’23 (left) playing basketball, and Ana Franco ’23 (right) playing Field Hockey

Two students in the graduating class of 2023 have received athletic offers to division one schools. Junior Payton Pitts plays basketball in and out of Parker, and Ana Franco, who has committed at Wake Forest University, plays field hockey in and out of Parker.

Payton Pitts currently has an offer from Western Illinois University for basketball. Payton plays basketball at Mac Irvin Fire, where scouts were able to watch his games.

“Even though I go to Parker, I also play in the spring and summer as well,” Pitts said. “Scouts come to my games during the summer, and coaches that are interested watch me play on NFHS.” The National Federation of State High School (NFHS) Association’s website streams games and offers resources for high school sports and activities. Playing travel basketball has allowed Payton to gain the recognition and attention he needs from scouts and coaches to get this division one offer.

Pitts just recently visited Harvard University and met coach Tommy Amaker. Payton toured the campus, athletic facilities, locker room, and was able to watch their game against Princeton University. “I was really impressed with everything about Harvard,” said Pitts. “Coach Amaker is a great guy and a great coach, and I would really love to play for him.” Parker basketball games are rarely scouted, so Pitts works hard to gain the attention of coaches, and he has attracted the attention of respected basketball programs. 

Pitts works out every single day and maintains excellence in the classroom. Payton has been contacted by Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, Colgate University, Cornell University, Lehigh University, and Stony Brook University.

Fellow Parker basketball captain and Student Athletic Council Head Jackson Antonow is proud of Payton’s attention from top programs. “Payton really has the ability to show up against high level opponents that most Parker athletes don’t,”Antonow said. “When we play out of conference, and we play good athletes, Payton is always there.”

Wake Forest, where Franco has committed, is in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Franco verbally committed to Wake Forest prior to her junior year, the earliest a student can commit for athletics. Just like Pitts, scouts were primarily able to watch Franco playing travel field hockey for Windy City Field Hockey, which has nationally ranked teams. “Through my travel team, coaches saw me play at tournaments, camps and showcases,” Franco said. 

Field Hockey co-captain and SAC Head Ava Rosenberg said Franco has helped make the Parker field hockey team a “real competitor in Illinois.”

“Ana is not only one of the most impressive field hockey players in Parker history, but also across the nation right now,” Rosenberg said. “After leading the team with Ana, I realize how much she raises the level of play on the field and how much better everyone plays around her.”

Daily, Franco is either working out or working on her stick skills. The Wake Forest head coach came to watch her play and was impressed. “She came to watch me play, and then called me and gave me an offer,” said Franco. “Since then, I’ve continued to build my relationship with the coaches at Wake Forest.” Receiving the offer meant a lot to her.  “I’ve always wanted this,” said Franco.