Independent Studies Commence

Students Research Personal Interests

Do you want credit for studying the chemistry of coffee, The Beatles, or climate change? Parker’s independent study opportunity allows students to dive into their passions. 

The concept of independent studies is to “get students deep into the process of working on something they love,” Music Teacher and Independent Study Faculty Advisor Alec Synakowski said. With the free choice of subject, teacher, and coursework, Parker’s independent study enrollment continues to increase in popularity. 

Parker sees the curriculum of independent studies as being an integral way of learning. Through diligent and continuous work, Parker’s advisors monitor all research while allowing students to discover independently. The importance of allowing free choice to drive the project is “what independent studies are all about,” Synakowski said. 

Independent studies are meant to fill in the gaps of some specific educational opportunities that are lacking in Parker’s regular Upper School curriculum. “I’m studying George Harrison and his music and humanitarian efforts, which I’m so interested in,”  senior Lydia Blasko said. “Parker’s music classes don’t really include in-depth research of specific artists; that’s why I’m doing this,” she continued. 

Blasko described the culture of her independent study as “motivating.” “I chose this topic because I want to do it, and I know how I learn,” she said. 

Synakowski explained how the shift of responsibility from teacher to student creates a higher level of drive and understanding. “She’s really smart and motivated on her own. It’s my job to guide her to the right resources and also to be that resource. But, in the end, it’s her choice to decide what to do with what I give her. Her knowledge about the learning strategies that are best for her allows for her productive work.” 

Her positive experience is thanks to the freedom of escaping the structure of a classroom and studying a topic outside of Parker’s established curriculum. “I really like that I get to work with teachers one-on-one, especially because they’re so passionate about my topic, too,” Blasko said. 

Junior Julia Peet’s independent study focuses on climate change. Peet’s project enables her to bring her learning outside the classroom and beyond Parker’s community. “I chose to do it because I’m going to a United Nations conference this fall in Egypt and wanted to know who to look out for as well as have a better sense of how people my age can help fight climate change,” she said. 

In the high school rush of due dates, snack-filled sports matches, and Student Government campaigns, the student body has their schedules packed. However, Synakowski believes it’s important to find time in high school to take advantage of Parker’s independent study opportunities. “Now is the time to do it,” he said. “Take this time to really find what you love and study it. You will find that the older you get, the harder and harder it becomes to explore what you are really interested in. Now’s the best opportunity.”