An Audience Left Inspired

Poet Julian Randell ‘11 speaks at Morning Ex

Photo credit: Nick Saracino

Visiting Poet Julian Randall ’11 speaks to a 5th grade class.

On Monday, April 17, Parker welcomed Julian Randall ’11 to campus for a week. He talked about his poetry, writing, mentorship, and more, culminating in the Ninth Annual Jeanne Harris Hansell Endowed Fund for Poetry presentation on April 26th. 

Randall is the recipient of multiple fellowships and the winner of a Pushcart Prize. He holds an MFA in poetry from University of Mississippi. His writing has appeared in New York Times Magazine, POETRY and The Atlantic. He is the author of Refuse (Pitt, 2018), winner of the Cave Canem Poetry Prize, and a finalist for an NAACP Image Award; The Pilar Ramirez Duet (Holt Books for Young Readers, YEAR) and The Dead Don’t Need Reminding: Essays (Bold Type Books, 2024).

Beginning his stay as Parker’s writer-in-residence, Randall interacted with more than 25 classrooms from the Lower, Intermediate, Middle, and Upper Schools. He was a mystery reader in elementary school. He led a writing workshop called “Asking Big Questions” for first graders. He discussed poetry with third graders, spoke with fifth graders about story starters, and advised them to be patient with the writing process. He read the first chapter of his book, Pilar Ramirez and the Escape from Zafa and he spoke with sixth graders about how his story came to be.

Matt Laufer, English Department co-chair and teacher, was moved by Randall’s visit. “It was really exciting to launch the writer-in-residence program in a way that will hopefully stick for the future.” 

“It would have been exciting if it had been just any old poet who had come through all the different grades the way he did, but because he was Julian, his personal connections with his teachers here and with the place made it unbelievably special and moving,” Laufer said.

In addition to meeting with a variety of Upper School groups, including American Literature, Black Voices, Creative Nonfiction, Genres, Slam Poetry Club, and Writer’s Studio, to discuss writing and poetry, he gave poetry writing workshops for eighth graders. Each student was questioned on topics ranging from poetry to their favorite sports teams to their writing processes to their preferred musical genre. Randall gave these youthful, creative brains a window into the thoughts of an established poet or author.

Junior Quinn Kass, who is in Mike Mahany’s American Literature class, said, “I enjoyed his visit. It was interesting to hear more insight behind his poetry and where he gets his inspiration from.” Kass also touched on how she will use Randall’s techniques in her own writing. “When I write poetry for English class, I think I’ll think more deeply about the words I’m putting on the page.”

At his Morning Ex, Randall read excerpts from all of his writings, including poetry and pieces from his nonfiction and essays, and he discussed his experiences as a writer and poet. He read his poem, “Flex,” the short story, “But Also, Jazz” from “Black Boy Joy”, and a passage about Miles Morales and the “original Spiderman” Anansi from his article for “The Atlantic” magazine.. Randall performed a new work, a poem that was the world premiere!

Senior Elias Acevedo, who attended the Morning Ex, said, “I thought his poems were very powerful and vulnerable, as he spoke of his own experiences. It was very inspiring, especially because he went to Parker. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to get to hear him speak.”

At the Ninth Annual Jeanne Harris Hansell Endowed Fund for Poetry live reading, Randall said goodbye to his old school. The English Department professors, current students, current parents/guardians, alumni, and parents/guardians of alumni were all warmly greeted by Principal Dan Frank. Before David Fuder, the co-chair of the English department, presented Randall, student Gabriel Vilus gave a slam poetry performance that got everyone in the mood for poetry. Randall then read passages from “Refuse” and more current works to a warmed-up audience before concluding with a more recent prose piece. Laufer gave a closing remark and thanked everyone for coming.

Parker is grateful to the Hansell family and to Randall for making this event possible and for spending so much time with his community.