Model Home or Home of Models?

Recent Parker promotional video features Kate Upton as seventh grader

Kate Upton poses with a Parker student for anew video.

Photo credit: Rachel Hartman

On Monday the Parker Admissions office released yet another promotional brochure– this time a 3 minute long video featuring model Kate Upton as a Parker seventh grader. The video, titled “A Day in the Life of Kate,” displays Upton as a buoyant middle school student, excited to share her Parker experiences with the world. Upton walks the audience through her daily commute to Parker, her interesting, progressive classes, and her interactions with her friends.

Upton is only one of many models used in Parker’s 2015-2016 promotional materials. “My agent told me that Parker’s other models had a big boom after they starred in that book,” Upton said. “So I was like ‘Of course I’ll take the job.’”

The book Upton refers to was a brochure published in January, which shows a variety of “Parker students” in science labs and on the turf field in school uniform. A number of those students prominently featured do not attend Parker. Nor were they in the actual Parker science rooms or in actual soccer uniforms.

When asked about this booklet as well as Upton’s recent video, the admissions office said, “Unfortunately, I can’t elaborate on this issue now due to the current ‘admissions season,’ but we were so lucky to be able to work with Kate.”

The video, having been posted to YouTube, already has over 3.4 million views and hundreds of thousands of likes. Upton was happy about the attention it brought to Parker, but most importantly the attention it brought her.

In addition to Upton herself, many students were pleased with the video. “I downloaded it on my phone, my iPad, and my laptop, so now I can watch Kate whenever I want,” freshman Aaron Stone said. “She has been one of my favorite models for years.”

Others were not so happy. “It’s not fair because I wanted to be in that video,” seventh grader Shayna Ellis said, “and she doesn’t even go to Parker.”

Seventh grader Leila Sheridan agreed with Ellis. “I wanted her to be in my section,” Sheridan said.

Upton sees a her future at Parker. She said, “Maybe I’ll even make it in the photo poll someday.”.