The Parker Admissions Process

Students and teachers reveal the work of the Parker admissions office

Students pass by the doors of the Parker admissions office to go to the library, the cafeteria, to their classes, every single day. But what goes on behind those blue doors?

The Parker admissions process is “tedious,” in the words of freshman Trisen Phillips. For students, it consists of writing an essay, filling out a questionnaire, taking the ISEE test, a family interview, and an interview during Shadow Day. 
Freshmen Raiva Lessing, Jade Labkon, and Phillips agree that the ISEE test was the most challenging part of admissions. “The test is definitely very rigorous in the fact that it is also for students transferring in tenth grade, meaning that the material is very advanced,” Labkon said, “and it was very hard for me along with the pressure of it all.” 

The test may seem daunting, however Assistant Principal Priyanka Rupani believes that “a standardized test is a snapshot in time and is just one of the factors we consider in our holistic deliberations in the admission process.

According to some, the easiest part of the admissions process is the essay. Labkon, Lessing, and Phillips all came to that consensus. However, freshman Tallulah Koenig viewed the interview as the part she had the easiest time with. “I just got to explain who I was and what I enjoyed doing outside of school,” Koenig said.

Upper School English teacher Mike Mahany interviews prospective students, and he has a casual approach. “The goal of the interview, two things, is to learn about the candidates and to learn about them not only in terms of school but also what are their interests, to find out about their personality, and to find out how they might fit into the Parker community,” Mahany said. “One quality that stands out is if someone is able to have a conversation…that doesn’t mean someone that is shy won’t get into the school, but it stands out to me…and I’d love to talk to someone who has a variety of interests.” 

Sophomore Mariya Melikhova enjoyed her interview with the Upper School Dean of Student Life, Joe Bruno. Every September, Parker gets two to three new students joining Paker for their sophomore year. Melikhova’s experience did not contrast too greatly with the incoming freshmen. For her, the ISEE test was the most difficult part, but she learned new, valuable information. Melikhova describes the admissions process as straightforward.The advice I would give to other students who are applying to Parker for sophomore year is not to be afraid of talking to a teacher during the interview and to ask as many questions as you want,” the sophomore said. 

A common misconception is that the financial aid process and admissions process are interlinked, but the two are separate. Associate Director of Admission Paige Walus clarifies that “Parker utilizes a third-party company to assess a family’s financial profile. Parker’s financial assistance program is need-based and provides expansive assistance beyond tuition support.”According to the website, Parker sets aside 5.2 million dollars for financial aid, and 25% of Parker students receive some form of financial aid. 

The ultimate question, perhaps, is what would guarantee a spot in Parker? Well, there really isn’t one right answer, according to Walus. “Many different types of students can succeed at Parker. Some characteristics that stand out during the admission process are curiosity, love of learning, and willingness to engage in the classroom and community.”