Parker Finally Bursts the Bubble

Sends Students Out Into “Real World”

It’s no secret that Parker is Chicago’s premier progressive school. In a recent move, Parker took the full plunge into progressivism by letting go of the old ways, turning the city of Chicago itself into a classroom, so students can learn from the world around them.

“It seemed like an obvious decision,” principal Dan Frank said. “We have been aware of the bubble that Parker has always been in. Now seemed liked a better time than ever to get students out and into the real world.”

The Parker building will be used as a “home-base” for students as they explore the city of Chicago as their classroom. Those concerned about meeting Illinois graduation requirements should not worry —  curriculum has already been put into place.

The science department is working closely with the CTA to challenge junior physics students with problem sets including: If the Red Line is traveling north at 50 mph, and the Brown Line is traveling south at 60 miles mph, with delays at Wellington, will you have time to get a Frappuccino before your train arrives at the platform?

The English department has established a partnership with Netflix, tracking students “Recently Watched” to make sure they are meeting requirements, and, in a new offering, binge-watching is now an AP course. Extra credit will be given for movie adaptations of novels, from“To Kill a Mockingbird” to “The Hunger Games” or, for those looking for a longer term commitment, “Harry Potter.”

Trigonometry and calculus concepts will be covered on mandatory Uber excursions that require students to calculate the best way to avoid surged prices.  

History and the arts will be covered through all-inclusive museum memberships, while Rosetta Stone will take the place of language and cultural studies. Foreign languages will be listened to on runs along the lake, thus filling physical education requirements.

Student reaction has been mostly favorable. Parents, however, have voiced concern about the unexplained increase in tuition, which went up by one and a half the price of the previous years.  

Shanti Elliott, Director of Civic Engagement, was very excited about the upcoming changes. Elliott said, “I’m happy to know that students will be engaged civically, all day, every day.”

Rumor has it that Latin is exploring a similar change.