Levine Leaves

Upper School Math Teacher Takes Year Long Sabbatical
Photo credit: Benjamin Kagan
Ethan Levine draws diagram of precalculus concept on a white board in his room.

In the upcoming 2024-2025 school year, the math department will be missing one key figure, Upper School math teacher and Department Co-Chair, Ethan Levine. Levine typically teaches two sections of advanced precalculus and two elective classes, including statistics.

“I’m really going to miss my students and the Parker community in general. Parker is such a special place and it will be really weird to not have the Parker traditions at my new school,” Levine said.

Though he is leaving for the 2024-2025 school year, he plans to return for the 2025-2026 year. During his absence, Middle and Upper School Director of Studies Sven Carlsson will be Levine’s yearlong replacement. 

“Mr. Carlsson is a great teacher and a great person and I am confident in his abilities to lead the classroom and take up the curriculum. The only question is if he’ll give me a job back next year!”

Carlsson will be taking on all of Levine’s classes and maintaining some of his current duties, however, he will not be taking over his role as Scholastic Bowl coach. “Levine has been the Scholastic Bowl coach for as long as I can remember,” sophomore Spencer Koh said. “He has coached my brother through so many years and has now coached me.” 

Levine and Upper School science teacher Xiao Zhang have co-coached this past year and in light of Levine’s sabbatical, Zhang will be taking up the primary coaching position. Upper School Latin Teacher Sean Miranda will also join as coach.

“[Levine has] been one of the most influential people in my high school experience,” junior and Scholastic Bowl team member Annoshae Mirza said. “He is always so welcoming, and I never feel afraid to get things wrong in his class or on his team. He’s created an incredibly welcoming environment in Scholastic Bowl, and I think we’re really lucky to have him as a teacher and a coach.”

Levine’s advisory will also be affected as his advisees will have a new advisor for the upcoming school year. “I’ve really enjoyed being in Mr. Levine’s advisory, and I think that we’ll all miss him next year as we move to different advisories,” Koh said. 

While Levine will be leaving the community for a year, he does not plan to stop teaching. “I’m going to be teaching at a new school in New Haven. The whole reason why I’m leaving is my wife got offered a one year term at Yale, and we decided that since we have young kids, now is the time that we are going to try something,” Levine said

“Everyone was extremely welcoming when I was there,” he said of his new school, called Hopkins School, “but I will still miss the Parker traditions. Also, my wife and I plan to do a lot of exploring when we’re in New Haven. We want to just go on as many adventures as possible, and that’s how we look at it: one big adventure.”

Teachers at Parker have taken one year sabbaticals and come back, however there has been the rare occasion that they have not returned from their sabbatical. “We’re not selling our house, is what I’m telling everyone. Meaning we have no plans to leave, however, we do just want to see what it’s like, but we plan to return to Chicago, and I plan to return to Parker.” Levine said.

“Mr. Levine has been a great coach and integral part of the Scholastic Bowl team and will certainly be missed by the team next year as well. I am a rising junior and will be taking Mr. Carlsson’s precalc class, and am excited, however I will miss Mr. Levine, and I do hope he comes back. He is so loved by the community and everyone would be extremely sad if he stayed in New Haven,” Koh said.