Carlsson Changing

Director of Studies returns to the Math Department
Photo credit: Sven Carlsson
Sven Carlsson teaches an advanced calculus class in 2015, before becoming the Middle and Upper School Director of Studies.

The Middle and Upper School Director of Studies: for the past seven years, Sven Carlsson had that title. Until recently, that is. This upcoming year, Carlsson is leaving his post in the administration to take over for Advanced Precalculus and Statistics. “I missed teaching. I missed the time with students. In the last two years, the best part of my day was when I was with students talking about math,” said Carlsson.

Carlsson has a long history with teaching mathematics starting in 2003. Previously teaching at Abington Friends School in Philadelphia, Hopkins School in Connecticut, teaching at Parker for five years, then leaving for a year to teach at Achievement First Hartford High charter school, and finally, coming back to teach at Parker for three years –– this time to stay. He has taught precalculus before, but the 2024-2025 school year will be Carlsson’s first time teaching Statistics. Carlsson won’t be leaving the Middle School, either. “I’ve always taught high school, and then I’ll probably still stay on with Math Club and work with middle school kids, because I also really enjoy working with them,” said Carlsson. Besides the mathematics itself, “I’m excited about getting to show students the beauty of math, and their abilities,” said Carlsson. 

During his seven years as an administrator, Carlsson spent five of them not teaching, and the last two teaching one class. “One thing I like about being an administrator is talking to teachers, sort of how we teach, and the teachers here are really fantastic…I’ve grown a lot in my appreciation of the craft of teaching” Carlsson said. As an administrator, he bounced around, much like other faculty members. He did many activities ranging from designing curriculum to coordinating AP Exams. But he won’t stop his administration duties here –– Carlsson will continue a small part of his Director of Studies tasks in lieu of an advisory. When “The Weekly” asked Carlsson if he would ever permanently return to the administration, he said “I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.” 

Carlsson will teach in room 159, Upper School math teacher Ethan Levine’s classroom, as Levine will be on a sabbatical next year. Levine is happy that Carlsson will be teaching, and he is not alone. “The whole department was very excited about it. It’s kind of an ideal situation,” said Levine. Carlsson and Levine have a very collaborative approach when it comes to the 2024-2025 school year. They’ll be meeting over the summer and sharing materials. Levine inherited his precalculus class from Carlsson in 2017, and as a result they have a binder of resources between them. “The nice part about our department is that, yes I have been teaching these classes for several years, but they’re not mine, they’re ours…I hope that the kids who take his [Carlsson’s] classes next year will get to experience the great things he has to offer as a teacher. He’s the kind of person who really wants kids to see the joy and beauty of math. I hope his kids will appreciate that next year, and I’m sure they will,” Levine said.

As for who will be taking over for Director of Studies for the Middle and Upper School, some teachers have already shown interest in the role. It will be an internal hire, and they will be taking over the major parts of Carlsson’s responsibilities. Who it will be exactly, has not yet been announced.