Stitching for a Change

Lesak Hosts a Stitch-In for Change

Annette Lesak, Parker Upper School Librarian, was inspired to take a stand to stop gun violence, and make a difference for young people affected by this serious issue, after experiencing violence in her own neighborhood.

Shannon Downey is a Career and Business Strategist, a professor at DePaul and Columbia College, and a firm believer in standing up for what you believe in. Along with her classes, she hosts open classes on cross stitching- a type of sewing patterns- for whatever cause one believes in.

Earlier in the year, Lesak attended one of these Open Classes at the Green Exchange, an office building repurposed for these kinds of classes. She had been scrolling through the web when she came across a signup list for one of these classes on a website called Dabble, and was immediately intrigued. “It was super cool. It was about 40 people, all gathered together. She went through a quick presentation on how to cross stitch, and were then free to make our own patterns.” Lesak’s stitching forms an intricate gun pattern, complete with Chicago stars and flowers. Stitching bright colors on even brighter backgrounds, Lesak and her ‘classmates’ made became the first contributors to the #EndGunViolence movement.

Through stitching patterns and symbols representing the need for change, anybody can contribute. On a small piece of fabric, using needle and thread, Downey encourages anyone who wants to give it a shot to design a pattern with meaning to them, or sign up for one of her classes. Held at DePaul and Columbia College, in these 2 hour open classes, Downey offers tutorials on how to stitch different patterns and stitches, and then devotes time to making a finished product that displays one’s passion or belief.

Through emails and Ms. Downey’s social media, Lesak learned about the #EndGunViolence movement- and decided it was her turn to make a change. The #EndGunViolence movement is one supported by both Downey and the Pilsen Art Museum, and it is a project to compile as many cross stitched gun patterns as possible. The point of the movement is to raise awareness of gun violence, and raise money to fund rehabilitation for children affected.

Thursday September 29th, Ms. Lesak offered an opportunity to get involved. Through an email she sent out to the entire High School, she explained the purpose of the art workshop and the future of the pieces.

On November 4th, all of the collected works will be assembled and displayed at the Pilsen art museum, for an open gallery showing with the intent of bringing awareness to Chicago’s pressing gun issue. It is open to the entire Chicagoland community, including Parker students.

All proceeds from this gallery will be going straight to Project FIRE, a n “ artist development employment program that offers healing through glassblowing, combining glass arts education, mentoring, and trauma psychoeducation to support trauma recovery and create jobs for youth injured by violence,” according to their website.

Along with raising awareness about the event, Ms. Lesak also provided a time during U-Lunch in which students could come use her materials, patterns, and ideas. This is just one example of how the Parker Community can take an opportunity, seize it, and make a change.

Note: This piece is a rewrite of an original piece published in “The Weekly” due to a misquote of Annette Lesak, Parker’s Middle and Upper School Librarian. This is the accurate version of the piece.