Faculty Grows

New Position of Middle and Upper School Director of Studies is Created

Over the past few years, a number of administrative head roles at Parker have been filled and refilled. Starting with Head of the Middle School John Novick in 2013, followed by Assistant Principal Ruth Jurgensen in 2014, former Head of the High School Peter Neissa in 2015, Interim Upper School Head Jurgensen in 2016, and now with the search for a new Head of the Upper School, Parker has taken the chance to rethink its administrative structure.

Just a few minutes before classes commenced on Friday, Principal Dan Frank sent out an email to all faculty members with an “Update on Educational Administrative Roles,” including the announcement of a new position for the Upper School, that of Middle and Upper School Director of Studies.

The new Director of Studies will replace the position of Director of TIDES and Cross-Curricular Pedagogy, which is currently held by Martin Moran. This position currently works to advance curriculum and educational technology outside of the regular departments.

Compared to most schools, Parker has had a relatively small administrative staff.  This new position the principal sees as a worthwhile addition. Frank said, “One of the things that could help student experience and the curriculum is really strong coordination not only within a department but across all of them.”

The new MS and US Director of Studies will ensure coherence across divisions and classrooms and work with the administration. The Director’s work will be overseen by Assistant Principal Ruth Jurgensen in the coming school years. “All the administrators work very closely together,” Frank said. “The role of a Director of Studies for grades six through twelfth would work with the grade heads, department chairs, and with Ms. Jurgensen.”

The new position will function similarly to the position that Lower and Intermediate School Director of Studies Barbara Hunt currently holds. Hunt’s job entails making sure that students receive a cohesive and connected education as they pass through grades JK through fifth. The plan is that this new position for MS and US will do the same. “Kids are different, and you can’t really run the lower school in the same way you’d run a high school,” Hunt said. “Having more knowledge of each other and about what kids went through before and what they’re going through now is really beneficial.”

In the email sent to the faculty, Frank said that the shifts were made “to strengthen the school’s ability to guide outstanding teaching and learning throughout the school.” He went on to remind the community of the school’s three main strategic goals: providing outstanding progressive education, widening access to that kind of progressive education for all students, and establishing the resources needed to sustain and enrich the school’s ability to fulfill the first two goals.

As with all change, the addition of a new administrator to two divisions brings with it certain challenges. “It’s hard,” Hunt said. “We’ve had a lot of turnover lately, which is hard on everybody. It’s good in many ways, and it brings a lot of energy, but it also means that it sometimes feels like you’re starting over.”