A Ninth-Grader’s Gripe

Why the 8th Grade Should Shadow Freshmen Again

As middle school students observe the 12 Days Morning Ex, watch varsity athletics, and read “The Parker Weekly,” some contemplate whether their grade will meet the high expectations set by their upper school peers. Some 8th graders in particular consider which extracurricular activities they would join upon entrance into the most senior division in the building. And one day a year, the 8th grade obtains a glimpse into the lives of freshmen.

But recently, the Upper School grade heads reestablished a ludicrous protocol that was in place prior to last year: the 8th grade shadowed not freshmen but sophomores and juniors.

I understand the motives. Sophomores and juniors may have more experience than freshmen, but the perspective that would have been most beneficial to those who will soon transition into the upper school is that of the ninth graders. Parker puts an emphasis on empathy, and freshmen are more able to understand and connect with those who will soon experience what they recently did.

The idea that sophomores may share a similar perspective with freshmen because they also recently went through freshman year is unconvincing. Sophomores—and juniors especially—are more intimidating to 8th graders than those just one year ahead.

Ever since the freshman class shadowed the current sophomore class last year, we have looked forward to hosting our friends a year below us on shadow day. We even communicated with their 8th grade friends and siblings about requesting certain shadows. Many with established relationships figuratively marked the date on our calendars when we would finally host shadows. Shadows walk the halls with their host, their perspectives significantly–and positively–altered regarding the upcoming transition. The current freshman class has not yet experienced that joy of hosting an 8th grader about which they dreamed for a year. Instead we’ve been stripped of that excitement and will have to wait another year for the chance.

In addition, the sophomores and juniors take more challenging classes than the 8th graders will first take. Should an 8th grader taking Algebra 1 shadow a junior taking Pre-Calculus? Will that experience adequately prepare them for next year?

I was bewildered when I found out about the decision that the 8th graders would not shadow the 9th graders this year. While the sophomores do have shadow day hosting experience, the freshmen should not have been deprived of such an exciting opportunity. I understand that we may eventually get the opportunity to host, but the transition experience will be a distant memory if we do. I hope that in the future the newly established tradition will not continue. Waiting another year is like waiting for Godot.