Interweb Intel

Hallway TVs and Miscellany
Photo credit: Graysen Pendry
Fourth floor hallway TV displays the schedule and other announcements.

I’ve written several pieces now about things Parker does poorly with technology. In those pieces I typically generate several alternative ideas. The topics I’ve chosen so far have been pretty big and relevant at the time of writing. As this was due right after finals and there is a lack of any big technology changes so far, I’ve decided to dedicate this article to a bunch of little issues that I probably couldn’t write a whole page about but I sure could write a few sentences.

I generally like the idea of the new TV’s that were installed in Upper School hallways at the beginning of first semester. However, I find myself not noticing them. Even though they’re often populated with up-to-date and relevant information, they don’t serve a purpose that couldn’t be fulfilled by a poster. Something I would want to see incorporated into the TVs is some interactive component that takes advantage of the live updating action of the TVs. Some examples of this could be a game/challenge with a live updating scoreboard, automatic “song now playing” signs during passing periods, or a live updating schedule throughout the day.

Something similar to the TVs upstairs was the TV in the alcove. Some people may remember, but a while ago the TV in the alcove would display images of people in front of it in the past overlaid onto the people currently there. For some reason the art display has since been turned off, and despite my attempts to restart it multiple times it continues to get turned off so I assume there’s a reason for it. I really enjoyed the display and I would like to see something similar, depending on the reason for shutting it down, in its place.

The inconsistency of passing period music really defeats the purpose. I can’t be saved by the bell if the bell never rings. From what I’ve heard the music is somewhat automated but often gets desynced. In attempts to fix the system before, CTC has been prevented from investigating as the computer in the principal’s office which runs the music is highly protected. The music is another thing that I remember from growing up around the school, and it would be nice to see more consistency. 

The Portal is a topic many people pounce on. Sure it has its flaws and by no means is top in its class of UI or number of login screens, but it isn’t all that bad. Not only has the login process improved this year, but it has always been generally usable. In some ways I’d argue that after my third year using it, I like it better than Google Classroom just based on the standardization of everything. I don’t hear many complaints after freshman year. It becomes the evil we know, and I have become OK with that. There are still problems. It logs you out so frequently you might mistake yourself for working for the CIA. However, it has proven to be mostly functional and I’d rather have all my info in one slightly worse place than three better ones.

Printing is really not that hard. In my freshman year, we had an annoying site which wasn’t the best, but since the added support for AirPrint and the equivalent on Windows, it is pretty easy to get set up. I don’t think anybody should need to ask someone to print for them anymore, yet it continues to happen. I’m sure there are ways to make the process easier, such as creating an automation script, but that introduces different problems and it is probably nicer to just follow the tutorial. I would like to see more printing locations throughout the building, like on the first floor so I don’t have to walk upstairs just to get my science homework done.

These are just a few ideas to fully utilize the fun technology around the school, with some of the changes I’ve suggested I see major improvements, in maybe some less thought about categories.