What Are Parker Sponsored Events?

Community Reflects on Neutrality and School Actions

Photo credit: Grace Buono

Lower School Counselor Kaela Rowe, second from left, and her family march with Parker in the Pride Parade.

On Sunday, June 25, students, teachers, and faculty members from the Francis W. Parker School formed a delegation in the Chicago Pride Parade, as members from various branches of the school community came together to march for a common cause. Marchers from Parker were decked in logo-branded rainbow t-shirts, Parker backpacks, and large banners with the school’s name. Unlike many activist projects that members of the school take on, the Pride Parade was a school-sanctioned and sponsored event.

Some saw the Pride march as political. “I think, whether we like it or not, the fight for LGBTQ+ rights is something that has been politicized in America and, because of that, the school going out of its way to support that cause is political by definition,” junior and self-described liberal Charlie Moog said. “Does that mean that it’s inherently a bad thing? I don’t think so.”

Fellow junior Grayson Garelick, an anti-Trump conservative, agrees with Moog. “I think if you just look at the people who were at the parade,” Garelick said, “it was certainly very politically charged.”

Events of this sort are not initiated by the administration, but rather require personal initiative– staff or students or faculty members who bring opportunities to the attention of administrators and others who can support such actions. Upper School science teacher Ryan Zaremba brought the Pride Parade to the attention of Assistant Principal Ruth Jurgensen and subsequently worked to organize the outing. Zaremba resists narratives which describe the Pride Parade as political.

“For me, it’s definitely not political,” Zaremba said. “I think if you asked anyone from the LGBT community, they would say that, first and foremost, it’s just about being a member of the community and being a citizen while promoting positivity and acceptance.”

Jurgensen feels that Parker, striving for inclusion, does not take official political stances and aims to maintain policies of neutrality – despite any affiliation of individuals within the community. Embodying this ideal, Jurgensen agrees with Zaremba’s assessment. “I don’t see participating in the Pride Parade as being political,” Jurgensen said. “There are a variety of political viewpoints in the LGBT community.”

According to Principal Daniel Frank, the school’s mission supports students in their genuine exploration of views across the political spectrum – which engages learning, he says, while being respectful of others and opposing views. If community members show significant interest, Frank said, the school will stand behind it – from a gay pride parade to a pro-life rally. “We are about the student experience and developing student voice,” Jurgensen said. “We are in full support if there’s a student interest.”

According to Frank and Jurgensen, despite years of aiming for a truly apolitical culture, Parker is often seen as an institution which avoids exposing students to traditionally conservative voices and opinions – cultivating instead a culture of liberal teachers, pupils, and ideas.

“I do not believe that the school maintains neutrality,” Garelick said. “I think that the school is a very liberal school, and that is shown to us through the speakers that speak here among other things.” Moog and sophomore Lauryn Rauschenberger agree.

Students are split on whether or not the school should take “political” action, supporting or sponsoring charges with transparent partisan tilts. “I think the school should be able to take political action,” Rauschenberger said. “As long as they don’t exclude students who don’t feel the same way.”

Garelick disagrees. “In an ideal world, in an ideal school, I would like the school to not be political,” Garelick said. “I don’t think it’s good to learn in an environment which pushes left or right wing views, and I think the school could better serve its students by being neutral.”

The Administration is deeply attuned to the issue of political diversity and lack of neutrality. Frank said, “I think there is something to the criticism that Parker may not do enough to create spaces or access to information for students who might have, or be interested in exploring, points of view that may be more conservative than liberal.”