Blue Out Game

Parker Cheers on Girls Victory and Boys Hard-Fought Loss

Photo credit: Sarah Jayne Austin

The girls basketball team lifts Sophomore Molly Taylor after winning their Blue Out game.

On Friday December 1, at the annual “Blue Out” game at DePaul University’s McGrath – Phillips Arena, Parker’s varsity boys’ basketball team lost a close game to Latin High School’s Romans, but the varsity girls’ basketball team triumphed over Senn High School’s Bulldogs.

The girls played at 6:00 pm, with the boys following at 7:30 pm. While Colonels lost the boys’ game 43 – 54, the girls won the first game of the night 45 – 34.

The Parker girls were successful from the get go. They pulled ahead in the first half through tough defense and frequent breakaways. They had Senn’s score doubled at one point, and ended the game with a comfortable margin.

Leading scorers were: junior captain Elizabeth Slaymaker, who finished with 13 points and 7 rebounds, and sophomore Molly Taylor, who finished with 14 points and an impressive 6 steals.

Following the girls’ game, fans of Latin filed into the stands on the opposing side of the court, displaying signs supporting their school, and packing the left side of the bleachers with students decked in orange.

Parker and Latin played neck and neck throughout the opening of the boys’ game, the score being within 5 points through most of the first half. Latin gained some momentum in the final minute of the half, though, when Latin junior Israel Hernandez delivered a striking dunk down the center of the lane.

The Colonels fought back hard in the second half, but couldn’t quite close the gap. Leading scorers were seniors Ryan Skok and Jack McNabola, who finished the game with 14 and 11 points respectively.

Athletic Director Bobby Starks reflected on the importance of the Blue Out games for Parker. “Not only is this something for the total student body,” Starks said. “This game also means something to the alumni. I hear stories of kids becoming parents, and families bringing their kids, and those younger kids in the stands waiting to get older, and maybe one day play in the game,” Starks said. “This is almost like an alumni gathering, where Parker Alumni relive the good times, and watch some great basketball.”

A couple of days before the game, varsity boys forward and sophomore Rohan Jain described what it meant for him to play in the Blue Out game for the first time. “I’ve been going to the games ever since 7th grade,” Jain said. “It’s always been like the big football game — the most exciting time where the whole school gets together and watches one big event. To think about possibly playing in it this year is sort of mesmerizing.”

Senior and captain Jack McNabola expressed confidence in his team despite having to play the rival game without star Marc Taylor for the first time in years. “Were ready to prove that we can play on our own,” McNabola said, “and that we can still compete on a high level without him.”

Varsity girls center and sophomore Jenna Ehrhart explained her team’s preparation and why she believed the game is also significant. “We’ve been mastering our plays, getting all the dirty work in,” Ehrhart said. “We’re not that stressed because we’ve beaten Senn before, so it’s not something new. ”

Slaymaker spoke on the team’s preparation, and what they thought in terms of the matchup. “I think what made us play so well was that we were all really excited because I guess it was our biggest game, but you also have to take into a factor that it was not as good of a team,” Slaymaker said. “If we were to play Latin, it would be a different story.”

Although many believe the Blue Out games are an important tradition for all, some do not. “I don’t really think it’s that meaningful to me,” freshman Rebecca Gross said. “I think it’s just fun.”

Parker alumnus Kitty Rothschild ‘80 reflected on what games mean to her. “Being an alumni of Francis Parker, I remember the friendly rivalry and all the fun we had,” Rothschild said. “It’s our own version of the Crosstown Classic.”