Parker Hires New Athletic Trainer

Valentina Garcia replaces Caitlin Jochimsen

Typically seen smiling and sporting a blue Athletico T-shirt, Valentina Garcia–who replaced athletic trainer Caitlin Jochimsen–is settling into her new role as Parker’s athletic trainer. Garcia’s first day was just a few weeks ago, on December 4, but she is already treating students.

Garcia was inspired to go into athletic training in high school. “My profession is based off of my own injuries,” she said. “In high school, I sprained my ankle really bad, and I didn’t know what an athletic trainer was. I didn’t even know we had one.” Although Parker’s athletic training office is tucked away in the corner of the school on the first floor near the Athletic Office, undiscovered by many until injury, the trainer plays a crucial role in keeping Parker’s athletes healthy and competitive.

Garcia, who went to high school at Saint Ignatius in Chicago, recalls that after her coach sent her to see the trainer at her school, she left thinking that the profession was cool. “It really sparked my interest in the human body,” she said.” Ever since then, I’ve really liked the idea of the health profession world, but sports as well. You put the two together, and you get the best of both worlds.”

After getting a degree in athletic training from Eastern Illinois University in 2016, Garcia applied to work with Athletico, a physical therapy company. Parker outsources the hiring of an athletic trainer to Athletico, who then assign trainers to the school.

This August, without even knowing that she was an alumna, Athletico offered Garcia her first job as an athletic trainer at Saint Ignatius. “It wasn’t a really big adjustment,” Garcia said, “because I had gone to high school there.”

Then Athletico offered her a full-time position at Parker. “Athletico just assigns people to us,” Assistant Athletic Director Laura Gill said, “but we were lucky enough that it was her.

Stepping into her new office the other day, Garcia smiled. “Here I am,” she said. “Now I get to make it my own, make my own rules.” Garcia notes that the transition was rather sudden, but she didn’t mind. In fact, she called her new position “pretty clutch.” She is excited to meet everyone, especially the athletes, and the athletes are happy she’s here.

“Val has been doing such a good job, she’s super helpful,” field hockey captain and physical therapy regular Emma Adelstein said. “She fits in really well with the Parker atmosphere.”

Garcia also wants to expand her presence at Parker outside of the Athletic Trainer’s office. “I want to be involved with the school, outside of sports,” she said. “The academic side of things, and if kids just want to come say hiI’m always here if people need someone to talk to.”