Principal’s Opening Remarks from The Walkout

Photo credit: Sarah-Jayne Austin

Principal Frank delivers his opening remarks to over 500 students gathered in the Diane and David B. Heller Auditorium.

The following is the text of remarks made by Principal Daniel B. Frank ’74 at the “Opening Ceremonies” of Francis W. Parker’s Walkout. Frank’s remarks were delivered to students from grades 5-12 in the Diane and David B. Heller Auditorium as a part of the day’s first event.

Thank you to the student organizers of today’s events for inviting me to speak to you this morning.

Today is an important day.

Today, you, as students, are joined with other students and schools across the country to foster understanding, raise consciousness and raise voices as citizens who fear that current gun laws endanger the public health and safety of students and teachers in all schools. 

We are here now because of the initiatives and actions taken by your fellow students—both in the Upper School and in grades 5-8.

We are a school dedicated to educating students to think and act with empathy, courage and clarity as responsible citizens and leaders in a democratic society. 

And you are now applying your education in an effort to make a difference in the world. 

As you very well know, not all citizens, see the world in exactly the same way.  Not all students in our school agree on this issue or others. 

There are different points of view to all issues facing our society. 

No matter what your view is, your Parker education should move you engage with the issues, and to learn from those who have points of view different from your own, just as you can use your education to persuade others to understand your own point of view.

And the issue you have taken up now–about responsible gun laws as an expression of Second Amendment rights–is vital for us all. 

For here is a very clear reality: Only the living can be citizens who debate with free speech and open expression. 

Only the living can share different points of view. 

Only the living can learn and act in accord with one’s own beliefs.

So, today, in memory of those who lost their lives at the Stoneman Douglas High School–and in honor of their students who have spoken out in protest–go into the day’s activities with respect and optimism for what you can achieve by joining with others as citizens.

Back in September, Eric Liu came to speak to us at Parker about citizenship.  Remember the title of Eric Liu’s book: You’re More Powerful Than You Think: A Citizen’s Guide to Making Change Happen.

Today is an important day.

But with your voices and your education, everyday should be an important day, full of possibilities to think for yourself and engage with the most essential issues facing our society.

One final thought: Many have said that older generations have failed the younger generation and that hope for the future resets with the young. 

I want to remind us all that it’s not too late for the citizens of older generations to engage as citizens along with young people of today.

I’m proud to attend school and learn with you today and every day.

And let us say, never again.