Closing The Day

Students Gather in Auditorium Once More Before Departing From The Day

Photo credit: Sarah-Jayne Austin

Colleen Daley, the Executive Director of the Illinois Coalition Against Handgun Violence, addresses students to close the day.

To adjourn a long day of inspirational speeches, meaningful silence and meaningful poems, and empowering sing-alongs on a grassy knoll at the South Pond, Parker students filed into the Heller Auditorium for the closing ceremony. The crowd spilled into pews as passionate comments, tainted by notes of exhaustion, were exchanged by reconvening friends. Orange baseball caps served as remnants of the day—a clothing article that perfectly complimented the newfound determination smeared across some faces.

Junior Abby Smith introduced keynote speaker Colleen Daley, a Lincoln Park native who has served for 7 years as Executive Director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. “She is pushing to improve firearm laws, working with affected youth, and educating the public on gun violence and gun regulations” Smith said. “She’s working to end the disproportionate amount of gun violence against people in communities of color. Her solution is simple. Nothing stops a bullet like a job.”

As the community welcomed her with a warm round of applause, Daley grabbed the microphone. Her gold hoop earrings dangled as she moved from side to side, adjusting her position. “This issue was relevant to me because when I was a senior in college, one of my dear high school friends was shot and killed right here in Lincoln Park,” she said of her time at Saint Ignatius. “Ethan was his name. He was my inspiration. He was the guy that I thought about all the time. He was the reason I was fighting.”

“When they talk about gun violence, a lot of people don’t think it affects them,” Daley said, referring to residents of Lincoln Park. “Especially in this neighborhood.  But the bullet doesn’t know if you’re black, white, rich, poor, if you live in the best neighborhood in the world, or the worst. It can happen at any time or any place. We shouldn’t be scared, we should be aware.”

From a different point of view, senior Natalie Braye mounted the steps to the auditorium stage to acknowledge the privilege we possess in going to Parker. “We need to be aware of the power and privilege we have that is being supported by the administration,” she said, “At my school, Kenwood in Hyde Park, they also participated in the walkout, and kids were threatened with suspension Yet, they marched despite that.”

While the police at Parker’s rally were supportive and protective of students, “Three of my friends were arrested,” Braye said. “At Parker, the police walked with us. We weren’t seen as a menace or as violent people. All three of my friends were black, two of which were male. We need to see that the voices of young black men and women aren’t listened to when talking about gun violence.”

Injustice as she saw it in her own eyes initially ignited Daley to join the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, the oldest and largest statewide organization in the country working to stop the devastation of firearms.

This organization has been challenging the National Rifle Association for 43 years, and two weeks ago, they were able to contribute to the passing of a gun bill that would license gun dealers in Illinois. A piece of legislation such as this would require that gun stores be monitored more than every 5-8 years, adding precautions, including mandatory video surveillance, to adequately secure that there is no one purchasing a gun that shouldn’t be able to. This bill necessitates that employees are educated to identify which persons are able purchase a gun and ensures that people who sell guns are capable of owning them, too.

“40% of guns in chicago come from gun dealers in Illinois, so this bill seemed like common sense,” Dailey said, “but Governor Bruce Rauner didn’t agree with us.”  On March 13, Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed the bill.

“I find it extremely offensive that the day before so many youth across the country go out to march, and there being only 1 gun bill on his desk, the Governor decides to stand against the people,” Daley said. “We are going to try to override the Governor’s veto when the general assembly returns on April 10.”

In order to go through with this override, the bill will require 36 votes in the Senate and 71 in the House of Representatives. “It initially passed in the Senate with 30 votes,” Daley said, “so we need to pick up 6 more.”

Without being aware that some of them had spent the afternoon doing so, she said to the crowd of students, “Reach out to your state senator and tell them to override Rauner’s veto.” Then Daley directed her message to the seniors sitting in the back of the room. “Pay attention to how your legislators vote,” she said. “If they are not where you want them to be, vote them out. It’s as simple as that.”

Before exiting the stage, Daley made one last emphasis on the importance of voting. “As soon as you turn 18, register to vote!” she said. “People across the world would die to have this right.  It’s a civic duty, and the only way to change the culture is by changing the elected officials that are in office right now that are not doing the right thing.”

Justin Brandon, Head of Upper School, rushed to the stage shortly after to continue the theme of exercising the right to vote. “Not only are we here today to talk about gun violence, but we also need to talk about voting,” Brandon said.  “Please don’t take the power of your vote for granted. Voting is a privilege. Do whatever it takes to make sure your voice is heard and your vote is cast.”

To end the day, just as he began it, Sammy Kagan looked at his peers in the audience one last time and told them that this day was only the beginning of their journey.

“The mission today was for you to learn about an epidemic that is affecting our country,” Kagan said. “If you ask democrats, they will tell you this is an issue. If you ask republicans, they will tell you it’s an issue. Everyone is against people dying as a result of guns.  One day isn’t enough.Your necessary duty, if you believe in this cause, and you feel like it’s worth fighting for, is to get involved. To ensure people stop dying.”