On Chemistry, Asthma, and Good Friends

An indepth look at freshman Avani Kalra

As Avani Kalra prepared to be interviewed, she’s approached by a group of juniors, four of them, all in Chemistry + with her. “What’d you get on the quiz?” they ask. While blushing and rocking on her heels Avani confesses a perfect score, speaking softly with a light laugh, almost embarrassed by her success. Sitting down, she casually plays with her hair while chatting with a nearby classmate as I prepare for our interview. Once on the record she sits up straight and exudes an air of composure, one different from the friendly and casual feel taken with her friends.

Kalra, a sophomore and 4th year Parker student, is a diligent student and involved community member. Kalra thrives in Model UN, an individual who will travel with a delegation from 330 W. Webster to Vancouver in mid-November to compete in a large scale international conference. Beyond Model UN, Kalra is a member of Parker’s Power of Education Club in addition to playing piano and works as a staff writer for the Parker Weekly.

But her work outside the classroom is dwarfed by the success she has found in her first year as a high school student. Although relaxed and casual in conversation, Kalra is a fierce academic taking accelerated courses in both math and science as a part of Parker’s new efforts to expand and improve STEM curriculum.

When Kalra goes home, she faces a greater set of challenges than most as a result of her brother’s debilitating asthma. “My mom has woken me up in the middle of the night and been like ‘Put some pants on, we’re leaving [to go to the hospital],’” said Kalra. A 10 year old 5th grade student at the British School of Chicago, Arjun Kalra lives with a persistent threat of hospitalization due to a diagnosis of extreme asthma early in life.

As a result, Kalra has developed a greater sense of responsibility, always looking out for her younger sibling. “A lot of the time I’m protective of him,” Kalra said. “If he’s going out I’m like ‘you can’t run, I don’t care what your friends are doing.’” In recent months Arjun’s condition has worsened, with Kalra estimating a hospital visit once or twice a week for the young videogame enthusiast.

Kalra has gained a strong sense of independence, often fending for herself while embracing sentiments of positivity and normalcy in spite a tumultuous everyday life punctuated by her brother’s unfortunate medical condition. “I don’t live in a constant state of fear, but if my dad calls me I’m like ‘Oh, it’s gonna be [serious]’”, said Kalra.

As a result of her exposure to the debilitating effects of asthma, Kalra has done a smattering of work with charities that work to help those suffering, raising money in her time before Parker as a student at the British School of Chicago. Kalra participated on a “charity team” of sorts at the British School, raising money with her classmates at walk-a-thon style events.

Such independence manifested itself through Kalra’s experiences away from home, spending three weeks in Massachusetts at Wellesley College this summer taking courses in psychology and medicine. “I thought it was really interesting,” she said. “I liked the courses a lot.” When reminiscing about her summer Kalra sat up in her seat, speaking for minutes on end about the connections she made while away and the difficulty found in saying goodbye. “I had a lot of fun, I made friends that I still talk to everyday.” Kalra said. “It was hard for me to leave that environment with those people.”

Kalra feels her east coast experience influenced her personality greatly, referencing heightened maturity and enhanced interest in the academic fields she chose to study, given their unavailability to Parker students.

As the minute hand signals an impending conclusion to our conversation, Kalra remains locked in, speaking without pause while making strong eye-contact and and laughing as she recounts both struggle and success. “I just like people to like me. Think that I’m someone they might want to talk to.”