Bronstein’s Banter, Issue 10

White Privilege and Affirmative Action

On May 1, many high school seniors across the nation finally ended their college processes. If anyone is familiar with the college admissions statistics for the class of 2022, they are quite intimidating. As colleges released their acceptances rates to the public, it seemed almost every collegiate institution claimed that this year was their most selective yet.

The reason why almost every college received a record number of applicants is that the Common Application has made applying to a large number of colleges so manageable. Thus, since more people are applying to colleges, admission to elite institutions has become extremely competitive and selective. While having more academic competition is an inherently  good thing, what has been concerning about this past admissions year is how people rationalize some of their college rejections.

Obviously, Parker has an extraordinary college counseling department, which provides excellent insight about the college process as a whole. However, just because Parker’s college counselors are skilled at their jobs does not mean students with high academic achievements are guaranteed admission into the nation’s most selective colleges.

As the year has progressed, various students have made comments about the college process that just radiate entitlement and ignorance. For example, if a white student with good grades does not get into their top choices, the student will claim that the reason is “reverse racism.” What is especially concerning about this perspective is that the student believes that being a minority in the colleges process opens up opportunities that don’t correct for but the outweigh the discrimination and adversity the applicant experiences throughout his or her life.

In fact, some students will even seek out third party services such as 23andme or Ancestry.com soely to try to locate a distant relative that is a racial minority. In other words, people will look for ancestors of a different race not to learn more about their lineage but to appeal to a college that strives to maintain a more diverse student body. This practice is not only selfish and unfortunate but also hinders college communities because colleges believe that they are admitting someone with a different identity– and one who has a moral compass.

I believe that people who modify their racial identity for the college process do it because they are ignorant and laughing in empathy. They truly do not understand the magnitude of their actions and the harm it causes to those who have experienced oppression. I would also like to point out that this unjust practice is often carried out by people who are wealthy because their privilege prevents them from seeing any consequences.

I don’t think there can ever be a punishment for this practice because if someone were wrongfully accused of doing this, the consequences would be horrendous. In order to combat this issue, students should be taught the truth about affirmative action and how to form their own honest racial identity.