The Votes are In!

Results of the 2018 Student Government Election

Photo credit: Jenna Mansueto

Newly-elected President Annette Njei presides over the Student Body.

On Friday May 18, during U-Lunch–and then again for runoff voting on May 21–chairs and desks with privacy-granting dividers lined various hallways: Parker’s voting booths.  Students approached the desks, and with dull #2 pencils placed checkmarks next to names of their fellow students. Most students voted, and a few scrambled to make it to the desks minutes before class, quickly checking off names.

All elections are distinct, but this year’s was historic. For the first time since at least the 1980s, according to Andy Kaplan, Parker archivist and historian and former English teacher, the student body elected a female African American President.

After the May 21 run-offs, Annette Njei, a rising senior, was elected Student Body president for the 2018-2019 school year.  

“I think it shows Parker’s progress, but I guess for me it shows that I can be a voice to those who may go to Student Government and may not see a person who looks like them, and be able to connect,” Njei said.  “I’m happy that I’m that person for whoever that may be, whether it be a minority, or a woman, being able to see me up there and say I can do that.” As Njei spoke, her obvious excitement spread across her face in the form of a smile.

Njei’s election prompted current junior and newly elected Director of Committee Affairs (DCA) Chad White to reflect. “I also don’t know how many African American people have run, and I’m curious if that also says something,” White said. “Why aren’t more African American people running for president at this school?”

Rozelle Nesbitt, a male African American, was president during the 1961-1962 school year.  

Njei served as Inclusion Coordinator on cabinet this year. “I think that me being Inclusion Coordinator this year and actually passing it and making it an established position on cabinet and in the constitution really shows that there are voices all around the community that are silenced,” Njei said.  “The silenced voices do have a voice, and the voices are echoing, and I’m going to be that voice for them.”

While the election results were extraordinary, sophomore and newly elected Senate Head Lindsay Carlin found the process easy and peaceful. “The candidates were really respectful of one another, I thought,” Carlin said.  “There was not any dirty campaigning. I thought everything went really smoothly, as far as I could tell.”

During the election season, candidates ran for four cabinet positions: President, DCA, Treasurer, and (unopposed) Senate Heads. Additionally, candidates ran to become Committee Heads. Some positions had candidates running unopposed, but that did not mean there was a lack of interest. Upper School history teacher and Student Government Faculty Sponsor Jeanne Barr said, “Once again we see a real outpour of interest among the student body in terms of shaping their school, and that’s I think a real testimony to the power of progressive education.”

White was nervous.  “I was more nervous about the first result than the runoff results,” he said. “I was just super nervous. I had put a lot of work into it. And then, for me to get the email that I had made it onto the runoffs was very encouraging and reassuring for me.”

So as campaign posters come down, and the hallways are cleared of evidence of election season, it is time for the brand new elected members to take on Student Government. “I’m thrilled,” Barr said.  “It’s a great group of kids.”