Parents Too

A look at the Parker’s Parents’ DEI Committee

Photo credit: Sofia Brown

One of the DEI faculty leaders, Mr. Davis.

In the Spring of 2018, Parker students were given the results of a climate survey taken a few months earlier. Shortly afterwards, a group of 20 students were appointed to lead a student Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee for the Upper School. Little do most students know, their parents have been also been working on these same issues for the past couple of years.

A few years ago, the Parker administration saw a need to talk with parents about issues regarding diversity and inclusion. The administration reached out to parents, making it clear those who were interested were welcome to join. Thus, the Community Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) was born.

Last year, the committee focused on generating questions for the student survey and looking them over with Dr. Derrick Gay. This year, however, they are crafting a strategic plan as to how to go about addressing issues that were brought to light in the survey. In addition, the parent group has been looking at different strategic plans from other schools in addressing issues surrounding diversity, equity, and inclusion.

“It started out as a more conservational group,” Vice Principal Ruth Jurgensen said, “but now it is much task oriented.”

There are around six meetings each school year, and they are open to anyone who has a general interest in the topic. The meetings last from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm so the school can ensure that childcare will be provided through Parker P.M..

“Often a topic will be raised,” Parker parent and committee member Barry Taylor said, “and as parents from diverse backgrounds, we will be asked for our perspective, including on how new families can be better integrated into Parker, how social events can be more inclusive, and what strategies can be used to increase Parker’s diversity.”

Taylor has spent the majority of his professional career as a civil rights attorney. He currently works at Equip for Equality where he advocates rights for people with disabilities. One of his goals is “to ensure that disability issues are included in Parker’s DEI priorities.”

“In addition to having a disability, most of our clients are also poor and many are people of color,” Taylor said, “so I’ve witnessed the wide range of barriers and discrimination our clients face on a daily basis. So, I was pleased to be able to bring my professional experience and my personal perspective to Parker’s DEI Committee.”

Senior Hannah Kershner was appointed to the student DEI group last spring. They, too, have been focusing on addressing issues that were brought to light in the climate survey such as the antisemitism and classism that exists at Parker. Although she was unaware of the parent group until recently, she thinks it’s a great idea.

“I think it’s important that parents are in sync with issues going on in the student body because at the end of the day they are just as much a part of this school as we are,” Kershner said.