“She Was One of A Kind and A Parker Legend”

Parker Mourns the Passing of Deborah Cole, Longtime Art Teacher

Below the article, find numerous comments from alumni about Ms. Cole’s legacy.

• Cole (center) understood how to teach art to all ages, here with fellow Intermediate and Middle School teachers Kathy German (left) and Peg Zerega (right). Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

• Cole’s (far right) spirit of fun was evident as she enjoyed County Fair alongside (from left) Bennett Stein ‘16, Alex Boone ‘16, and Marissa Sanghvi ‘16. Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

• Cole (left) and her curriculum balanced expression with form, smiling here with colleagues Lucius Bell (center) and Robin Masters (right). Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

• Cole (right) helps senior Luke Grisko with his papier-mâché project. Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

• Cole (far right) dresses with with her Art Department colleagues as characters from “Scooby Doo” for Halloween. Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

• Cole (left) and Susan Weingartner illustrate the joy and concentration needed to create a thrown pot using a potter’s wheel. Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School.

Art teacher Deborah Cole served the Francis W. Parker community for nearly three decades. An instructor in ceramics, drawing, sculpture, and more, her colleagues knew her to be instrumental to the continued success of the Art Department.

Cole passed away on Friday, January 11, after “having struggled with a very serious illness,” according to Principal Daniel Frank ’74.“Debbie became ill late last spring and took this year off to treat the disease. She planned to retire at the end of this year.”

On Sunday, January 13, Upper School Head Justin Brandon shared an email with the student body from Parker’s Division Heads notifying the community of Cole’s passing.

Beyond the classroom, Cole was, by recollection of her colleagues in the Art Department, civically minded, caring notably about social and environmental reform. She attended both the Women’s March Chicago and the March for Our Lives rally. Cole also traveled with Upper School students to build houses as a part of the former “Homes for Hope” Cookies trip.

Banding together in her honor, Parker commemorated Cole with a tribute Morning Ex on Monday, January 14. Frank began the assembly with his own comments. After Frank, Upper School choir Grape Jam, clad in black, performed “Golden Slumbers” by the Beatles, before giving way to remarks from Turner, art teacher Anne Blasko, and Upper School english teachers Mike Mahany and Bonnie Seebold.

In addition to considering her death, the presenters told stories from Cole’s life. “It’s okay, it’s okay to be sad,” Blasko said to the crowd, recalling a trip with Cole to California. “She made it fun, like we were all one big happy family. She brought joy to everybody she was with.”

Mahany recollected her compassion similarly, recalling Cole’s enthusiasm to hear his stories. “You know how when you come back from a weekend or come back from a break and someone asks you how it was and you say fine and walk away?” he asked. “Debbie never let me get away with that.” “It was that she was very steady, knowledgeable, caring person, who really thought deeply about a person,” Frank said, later reflecting on Mahany’s comment.

Seebold and Mahany remembered Cole at the Morning Ex by considering the life of Mary Oliver, an American poet who––according to Seebold––“understood both beauty, artistry, and loss.”

“This morning the green fists of the peonies are getting ready to break my heart,” Mahany said, reading Oliver’s “Peonies,” “as the sun rises, as the sun strokes them with his old, buttery fingers.”

In the days following the Morning Ex, community members continued to grapple with Cole’s death. “She went way too soon,” sophomore Gabriel Logan said.

“The crazy part of it, is that I saw her everyday, almost everyday,” sophomore Grace Conrad said. “She needed to watch everyone work, everyone grow, everyone change. Just looking at her, you feel happier. That big red hair, and her smile, and her laugh.”

“She was one of those people where, when I imagine Ms. Cole, I imagine her laughing,” Ben Weiss ’16 said. “She had this incredible laugh.”

Lucy Hartman ’16 shares Weiss’s sentiment. “When I think of her, I think of her laugh,” Hartman said. “She had one of those laughs where she would just sit her head back and totally just laugh. It was one of the most beautiful things you can imagine––just somebody being really free about how they express joy.”

Turner and Blasko considered Cole’s laughs to be a source of joy in the Art Department. “She had one of the greatest laughs of anybody…we would all always be laughing,” Turner said, echoing Weiss and Hartman. “She had a lot of different laughs,” Blasko said, “like the low, little one and then she had the big cackle.”

“She loved to support and to help,” Conrad said. “Her hugs were so good.” Those in Cole’s orbit remembered her “as a helper,” by Frank’s account.

“She would stop whatever she was doing to help,” art teacher Nick Rupard said. “She would always just tell you what to do.” “Debbie was my Swiss army knife,” Blasko said. “She always had just what you needed.”

“She would see the big picture of what would help a set of students or what would help the department or what would help the school somewhere,” Frank said. “She dedicated her life to creating beauty.”

Publicly, Cole sought to champion beauty by aiding in the curation of the Kupcinet Gallery—a regular art display which lines the wall that runs from the front alcove to the Diane and David B. Heller Auditorium. Hartman has held on to Cole’s passion for beauty. “If something doesn’t go my way or something doesn’t fit right, it’s about considering what you can find beautiful in that situation,” she said. “That’s supported me as a person.”

Logan and Weiss recall a similar emphasis on Cole aiding her students outside of the art world. “I feel like she really, really, dove deep into her students’ minds and how she could help them,” Logan said. “When I was with her, she would shift the emphasis away from perfection and in the direction of expression,” Weiss said.

Though Cole maintained no expectations for standard of work, her fellow teachers were consistently motivated to improve their standard of effort. “There was definitely quality control,” Turner said. “In her classroom she set the bar high, so you knew in your classroom you had to set the bar high too. She kept the bar high all of the time. It never came down.”

Weiss sees Parker suffering as an institution in Cole’s absence. “There’s almost a part of Parker identity that is lost when someone who is as prolific as her passes,” he said. “The experience that she had, it’s going to be very hard to regain and can only be remade through time. It’s the joy she brought to the people who would show up––I don’t know how you replace that.”

“She understood what it means to be happy and to make others happy,” Conrad said. “There’s this quote that…I think of all the time that says ‘the noblest act is that of making others happy’ and that’s when I instantly think of Ms. Cole.”

Turner understands Cole’s passing as an opportunity to embrace Conrad’s motivational thinking. “There’s no loss. This is inspiration,” he said. “When people pass on, you should be inspired not sad.”

Frank rests among the inspired. “It’s important to pause at a moment of loss, for us all to slow down and take stock of those qualities that we continue to appreciate about Deb Cole,” he said. “We have to try our best to be mindful and integrate those qualities even more attentively in how we carry out our own day to day relationships with other people.”

In the mold of Turner and Frank, Weiss doesn’t believe that Cole’s death marks the end of her impact on the Parker community or even the world at large. “As long as her students are using their hands and making art,” he said, “in that way, it’s sort of like her influence continues to ripple throughout all of our lives.”

Pullquote Photo

I’m very saddened to hear the news of Ms. Cole’s passing. I wrote this note/essay/passage about her. It’s quite long, but Ms. Cole meant a lot to me and truly impacted my life, and I wanted to communicate that as much as I could to her family.

— Isobel Bender

This is heartbreaking. She was one of the most patient, fun, and adventurous teachers I’ve ever had.

— Gregory Uhlmann

Ms. Cole she was so fun. I’m so sad right now. She was one of the reasons I loved and wanted to do ceramics still do. R.I. H. Debbie Cole. You will be deeply missed.

— Danesha Young

Please send my love to her family and thank them for giving us such a wonderful woman to help shape the creative minds of the next generations. Her vibrancy and smile will stay with me forever.

— Nicky Lander

She was my favorite teacher and made me fall in love art. I minored in art education because of her. She was so talented always smiling but also straight forward and able to control our handful of a grade. I will really miss her. She was truly the best.

— Kayla Friedman

Ms. Cole was a wonderful teacher and person. She meant a lot to her students.

— Rachel Terp

I’m so saddened by the news. I fondly remember taking her pottery and mixed media courses. She was so kind and celebrating of creativity—the ethos of Parker. One of my favorite teachers at Parker during my time there ‘99-‘03.

— Jordan Frazes

I am so saddened to learn of the passing of Ms. Cole. She was an amazing art teacher. I had the privilege of taking sculpture and architecture with her. I am not an artist by any means, but Ms. Cole helped me tap into my creative side and my mom still has a mask I made in sculpture class hanging in her home. It’s actually pretty good and blends well with the African art she has. I will forever be grateful for the opportunities Ms. Cole gave me to think creatively

— April Dumas-Gray

Debbie was one of my most memorable teachers at Parker. She encouraged and cultivated in me a love for sculpting and three dimensional art that I still value now. When I found out that she was one of our chaperones on the homes of hope trip to Mexico in 2012, I was ecstatic to get to spend that kind of time with her. This picture is from one of our outings into town on that trip (photo attached). She spotted a lunch box in a store and dashed in, saying it was perfect for carrying art supplies. She was so excited, and I wanted to capture the look on her face in that moment. This is a teacher who showed me genuine excitement and curiosity for life I carry with me now.

— Kathryn Sobol

Wonderful lady. Working in athletics I didn’t see her very much but she always had a kind smile when I did. We had some nice talks. She will be missed and my heart goes out to her family and the Parker community.

— Thomas Kalleses

I have such fond memories of ceramics classes with Debbie Cole.

— Jenna Martin

Ms. Cole was the teacher I will never ever forget. I was actually in Chicago, for a visit a few weeks ago with my mom. We stopped into Parker and because of the new rules, we couldn’t get past the double door; I wanted to say hi to Ms. Cole!! Instead, the front desk connected me to her voicemail and I left her a message. She was downstairs teaching. I told her that I was in town visiting and I couldn’t walk by Parker without thinking of her, and how much I appreciated her as a mentor and friend and that I would have loved to give her a squeeze!! I graduated Parker in 2000 and she imprinted on my heart. Debbie Cole was an open, loving, teacher and guide to me, as I know she was a rock to many. As a teacher, she inspired creativity and fun. And, as a friend, she was a listening ear, added a smile and humor when it was needed, and was always there to push thru and get to the real stuff in conversation, in the safest of ways. I looked forward to her classes and time with her, so much… it was like walking into a home within a home.

— Lindsay Goldring

I was deeply saddened to hear the news of Ms. Cole. When I think of what a Parker education is all about, I think of Ms. Cole. She loved the school, teaching and her students. I took many ceramics classes with her and wouldn’t even think of taking a different art class. All my friends and I took her classes together. We enjoyed the freedom and creativity she allowed for us and had fun doing it. I know the entire Parker community will miss her.

— Jamie Weiss

So incredibly sad. Sending love to the Parker community, her friends and family. She was such a light

— Mackenzie Jones

Rest in Peace, Debbie Cole. What a wonderful woman and exemplary educator. The work and influence of good teachers survives their deaths and resounds through generations. So lucky to have been her student.

— Adrian Joy