January Newsletter 2019

January Newsletter

https://parkerweekly.org

Sign in with your FWP email

Instagram: @theparkerweekly

Print Issue Preview

Dr. Holloway Speaks to Juniors About Reconstruction

Photo courtesy of Francis W. Parker School

Jonathan Holloway, Ph.D.—Parker parent emeritus, Provost at Northwestern University, and former history professor at Yale University—delivered a presentation about the Reconstruction Era, the 12-year attempted reunification after the Civil War, for the junior class in the Harris Center, on Wednesday, January 17. Holloway incorporated primary sources into his lecture, providing students with a more complete understanding of the period.  Read more in Issue 6.

Matturday Night Live

Photo courtesy of Matthew Friend.

In 2016, one senior student had enough courage to stand in front of the entire student body at a Morning Exercise and do an impression of his own principal, Daniel Frank. That student was Matthew Friend, and his career of doing impressions and comedy was just beginning.

After years of curating a YouTube channel with clips of his impressions, Friend recently began interning at the Tonight Show, fitting his interest of political satire. “Today is a perfect time to be doing political comedy,” Friend said. Read more about it in Issue 6.

Teacher by Day, Pilot by Night

Image result for alec synakowski

Photo courtesy of Alec Synakowski.

Music teacher Alec Synakowski is also a licensed pilot and flight instructor. Ever since he was a kid, he was fascinated by flying. “To move through all four dimensions is just so freeing,” Synakowski said. Read more about it in Issue 6.