Devil’s Advocate, Issue 7

Go to MX, Goddammit!

Photo credit: Christian Navas

I didn’t realize how few people in the high school went to Morning Ex (MX) until one Monday when I found myself seated entirely alone in my row.  Thinking my seatmates might be an anomaly, I turned around and glanced at the seats behind me. Suffice it to say there were more than a few other empty chairs.

Despite what the administration and faculty may try to convince you of, there is no real consequence of ditching MX.  While there are rumors of some elusive “community engagement” grade which you can fail if you ditch too often, generally MX attendance does not show up on your transcript.  I have never heard of a student failing, and I don’t have a “community engagement” grade on any of my transcripts.

The only thing you might get for ditching MX is a stern look from Christian Bielizna, the Dean of Student Life.  If you ditch a lot, you might even get called into his office for a stern talking to. But, so long as you don’t care whether Bielizna likes you or not, there is still no consequence.

I am not explaining this to ease your mind the next time you choose to ditch MX.  I say it because the lack of punishment means something important; you have to attend MX because you believe it is important.  Certainly, some advisors will be more disappointed than others, but there are still no actual consequences. Students have to consciously decide that MX is worth their time, otherwise, there is no reason to attend. And many do not.

In my experience, there are three distinct demographics within the MX ditcher community which operate uniquely from one another.  What all three of these groups have in common, however, is that their rationalizations for ditching MX are all flawed.

Most students in the high-school will ditch MX if they have a big test or assignment due later on in the day.  The idea is that, during MX, they can have forty extra minutes to cram and hopefully earn a few more percentage points on their grade.

I did this once when I had a math test, which I felt unprepared for, in the next period.  It didn’t help. I spent the whole forty minutes sitting uncomfortably on the floor so I wouldn’t be seen, and I wasn’t studying.  I was just stressing. I doubt I learned anything during that MX time that helped me on my test, meanwhile, I was missing out on a unique presentation in the auditorium.

For students who actually manage to learn something while studying during MX, I am somewhat sympathetic to this motivation for ditching.  Assignment and test grades matter. But, in the end, I still believe that students benefit more from attending MX and watching its variety of presentations.

The most common type of MX ditchers, however, are not students with work to do, but “Judges.”  The Judges don’t always miss MX, only those that they consider not worthy of their attention. They’ll ask around the hallways or sometimes even check the schedule to find out what the day’s MX is slated to be.  Then, they will decide whether or not to attend, based on how interesting they imagine that MX as being.

The logic of any given Judge usually follows particular trends.  Band and orchestra MX’s are always ditched (unless their friend is in one); Talent shows generally are not.  Guest speaker presentation attendance depends on what they’re going to talk about. No one goes to March Mathness.

I understand the logic of only attending MXs which appeal to you.  But then you miss out on the whole point of MX — the unique opportunity to hear from a variety of perspectives regarding a variety of topics, exposing you to new ideas for a mere forty minutes three times a week.  If you only attend the MXs which pique your pre-existing interests or that you deem worthwhile, you lose the opportunity to be exposed to new, unknown ideas.

Less common than Judges, but worse offenders, are the students who ditch every single MX.  They don’t care whether the topic being presented upon appeals to their personal interests or not.  They won’t attend either way. These students believe that their forty minutes can almost always be better spent doing something else, whether that be getting ahead on homework, drinking Starbucks coffee, or watching Netflix.  

I understand this motivation.  Life is busy, and it can feel like MX presentations have no direct bearing on your achievements.  Attendance doesn’t affect your grades. There’s always something else you could be doing instead, and probably even something that will affect your grades.  

I understand this motivation, but it is short-sighted.  Sure, attending MX won’t show up on your transcript. But its short presentations will broaden your horizons and open your eyes to ideas which can inspire you.  It’s worth taking 40 minutes, three days a week, to potentially learn something you won’t find in your regular classes.

There are a lot of ways to rationalize ditching MX, but you should go anyways.  I will agree, most MXs will not have a direct impact on you. Some will probably actually be a waste of your time.  A few will make you nod off. But you should go regardless. MX is an incredible and unique opportunity to hear/see things you would never encounter otherwise.  And that, in and of itself, is valuable.