God, Mom, and Cookies

Parker Says Goodbye to Beloved Cookie Hardaway

Photo courtesy of Nick Saracino and Nick Robinson

After twelve years at Parker, Assistant to the Upper School Head & Development Relationship Coordinator, Karen “Cookie” Hardaway, has announced her departure. Cookie will be working on her business “Cookie’s Cookies” and taking care of her mother.

“Parker was like my home,” Cookie said.  “I have very deep relationships with the parents, with the students, with faculty, and with administrators, but it’s time for me to do what I love doing.”

During her time at Parker, Cookie held the positions of Assistant to Assistant Principal, Registrar and Assistant to Upper School Head, and Coordinator of Alumni Relations.  She was also involved in initiating Upper School Mentoring, served on the Diversity Council, and started or advised a variety of other community engagement functions at Parker.

“She led the only successful cookie I’ve ever been in,” Junior Max Moog said.

Cookie tried to make her office a place where all students were welcome and where they were all respected.  According to Cookie, she made an effort to get to know the students and their families as a way to produce the community that Parker strives for and to empower students to become a better people.“I try to make it so that everyone that I come in contact with feels included.”

“Cookie was very helpful and sweet and was always there for me. She really helped me spiritually and just generally through the year,” Sophomore Priscilla Roman said.

Cookie launched her cookie business in 2011. It was then, however, that her mother had a stroke that left her paralyzed.  She also became caretaker to her brother. It was difficult for her to continue baking while taking care of her family, so she put her cookie business on hold.

When her mother turned 90 years old this year, Cookie decided it was a priority to personally take care of her. According to Cookie, putting her mother in a nursing home “would kill her and it would kill me,” she said. “Taking care of my mother is not only my duty it is my honor.”

Since the school year ended this past June, Cookie decided to “step out on faith, and pursue [her] passion.”  Cookie’s Cookies is still in its initial phase, but she has begun a partnership with a friend who has a vendor’s truck, and is selling to family and friends as well. The most popular cookie at the moment is “Mommy’s Cookie,” an oatmeal, coconut, macadamia nut cookie.

As she builds up her company, Cookie is relying strongly on her passion, desire and faith. “I know that if I stay focused and do it god’s way, in his spirit that I’ll be successful,” she said.

Leaving Parker, according to Cookie, is going to be difficult. “Parker is supposed to be home away from home,” she said. “I believe in that, and I live it.”