Spooky Season

Parker Celebrates Annual Halloween Parade

On the morning of October 31, students from JK through fifth-grade walk into school not in their typical jeans and t-shirts but in elaborate superhero, princess, and skeleton costumes for the annual Halloween Parade. The parade commenced at 8:45 as the lower and middle schoolers were joined by their “big brothers” and “big sisters” in marching through the hallways, proudly flaunting their Halloween creations to the middle and upper schoolers lining up to celebrate them.

The Halloween Parade holds great nostalgia for seniors who, after many years of cheering, can return to march in the parade with their little brothers and sisters. “Ever since I was little, I always looked up to the seniors,” senior Ava Sato said. “As a senior now, I see that it’s really important to connect with the younger students and serve as a role model for them. I am so excited that now, as an older student in the community, I can be that support system for the younger students, and make their Halloween as fun as possible.”

Although many schools across the country participate in Halloween parades, many students argue that Parker is different in that among a sea of kindergarteners and fourth graders, the seniors are equally engaged and devoted to dressing-up in creative costumes. “Every Halloween since I was in JK, I saw the high schoolers dressed up in crazy creative costumes such as iPhones or inflatable animals, and I couldn’t wait to be one of them, ” senior Fin Gallagher said. “I decided to be an “Incredible” this year because I know my little brothers and sisters loved the movie.”

Despite students finding excitement in dressing up as their favorite characters, or hand-sewing their own costumes, members of the administration wanted to ensure that students were doing so in a respectful manner. “I think costumes are fun and lovely and there’s a tradition behind them, but I think that sometimes people just forget to use common sense when dressing up on Halloween,” Upper School Dean of Students Joe Bruno said. 

To keep up with another Halloween tradition, Bruno sent out an email preceding the parade to Upper School students regarding cultural appropriation in the context of Halloween Costumes. “Halloween should be fun and celebratory—it should not put anyone down or mock anyone, or make people feel uncomfortable or threatened,” Bruno said. “I think a reminder of this is absolutely necessary, as it also extends to the weekends, where students might find themselves going to Halloween parties or dressing up for Halloween events.”

According to Head of Intermediate and Middle School John Novick, similar reminders and policies are upheld in the middle school. “There are some things that are universally valued in a progressive school, so whether you are 9-years-old or 19-years-old, no one should engage in mocking, humiliating, or making a joke out of someone’s identity,” Novick said. “Race, gender, ability, and everything related to one’s identity is protected because progressive schools believe that everyone deserves dignity.”

The lower and middle school costume policies are distinct in that they ensure costumes are suitable for a younger audience: “Because most of the students marching are little kids, we do not allow pretend weapons, we don’t allow older kids to wear scary masks, and we don’t allow students marching up and downstairs to wear masks because they could potentially fall,” said Novick. 

Additionally, in fourth- through fifth-grade, group costumes are prohibited because, “while we recognize that intentions in planning and coordinating group costumes are usually benign, invariably, some who view themselves as part of a group of friends, for whatever reason, are left out, leading to hurt feelings and embarrassment at school on a day that should be fun for all,” Novick said in an email addressed to all lower school and middle school families.

“I think the Halloween parade is a great time for different age divisions to collaborate, and it has a strong sense of community,” said Bruno. “It really brings people together.”