Impeachment From A Parker Perspective

Parker reacts to impeachment inquiry

Impeachment in the United States has been a hot topic over the past month, according to “The New York Times.” Considerable turmoil and national attention has followed the released transcript of the phone call between US President Donald Trump and Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

After the Robert Mueller special counsel investigation into meddling in the 2016 election, Democrats dragged their feet on the issue of impeachment. The main story revolves around the 2020 election in which the Republican front runner, Donald Trump, called for an investigation into Democratic front runner Joe Biden and his son Huner Biden, who works in Ukraine. Not just Ukraine, but this was also turned towards the Chinese on live TV. Unlike the Ukrainians though, the Chinese declined any investigation into the Biden family.

This is not the first time than an event of this magnitude has struck the US. The “Saturday night massacre” was the beginning of what most Americans know to be the Watergate scandal against Richard Nixon.

Parker students do not remember impeachment proceedings for President Nixon or Clinton. This is their first experience tuning into history being made in this manner every night, in their classes, and on NPR each morning.

Many Parker students, including freshman Leo Auerbach, believe that this issue is important for the future of the United States. Auerbach believes that the impeachment discussion will certainly affect Trump’s reelection campaign. “It’s good that the citizens of this country know what is going on within the political system,” he said, adding that this coverage “allows for more people to think twice about their vote.

The Electoral College voted Trump into office, according to an MSNBC report from 2016. Auerbach believes that it “totally could turn the tables given that the hearings happen during the same time of him campaigning.”

Many students share the same viewpoints on how the President of the United States should be removed from office indefinitely and believe that this is all trying to ruin Joe Biden’s plan of becoming President.

Students interviewed for this story also almost unanimously believe that Hunter Biden has done nothing against rules or regulations. During his time on the board of one of Ukraine’s largest natural gas companies, Hunter Biden was regarded as a helpful non-executive director with a famous name, according to people familiar with his role at the company (sourced from Reuters).

Freshman Jack Kahan disagreed. “this will all backfire and rally his base even more,” Kahan said. “This to him is a very large subject in current news and should be looked at and monitored very closely as well.”

Senior and Student Government President Matthew Turk believes that, in the end, since the Senate is controlled by Republicans, none of this will matter at all since Trump will be kept in office.

“Fewer politicians reach across the aisle in the present-day, especially for such contentious matters near an election year,” Turk said. “Even if he is impeached, he will not be removed, or at least it’s highly unlikely and therefore not affect the election in 2020 nearly as much as if he is to be removed from office. His base will concentrate on his accomplishments more than Ukraine and the like.”

Regardless, Turk holds strong for the Democrats. “Everyone that is trying to remove him from office are maintaining a precedent and supporting the fundamental sentiments, principles, and values in which they believe,” Turk said.

History teacher Daniel Greenstone has no idea on how the idea of impeachment will affect the election at all. “I was quite convinced that Hillary would win in 2016, obviously I was wrong,” Greenstone said. “I don’t know how impeachment will affect the election.”