Summer Renovations

Workout Room and TV’s Part of Changes

Photo credit: Camryn Oliff

The new workout room after summer renovations

With a new set of renovations that began June of 2015, Parker continues its tradition to further change the building.   

Within the last ten years, the physical plant has changed substantially. The auditorium was redesigned in 2009, a turf field was installed 3 years ago, a new fountain placed in the courtyard 2 years ago, the playground by turf was rebuilt in 2010, as well as this year’s smaller changes such as a flatscreen television outside of Upper School dean of students Edward Amos, and camera in the lobby.

This summer, the school chose to update its workout room on the 3rd floor just outside the Draft Gym, as well as add one new television outside of Mr. Amos’s office.

Willie Banks, a Parker gym teacher, works next to and inside the renovated room. Banks has spent the last 27 years teaching P.E. at Parker.

Banks has the sixth and seventh grade classes in the weight room.  

“This renovation was completely necessary,” Banks said.  “The new carpet and floor is better for when students drop weights, the flooring is thicker and padded. It’s a lot quieter and safer, and helps drown the noise when I’m in my office, and kids are in the workout room.”  

As the school year is already a month in, Parker students are starting to notice the flatscreen TV right outside of Amos’s office. “The main purpose of the TV is to keep people informed.” With the addition of this new TV, Amos hopes to broadcast important information this year to the students, such as daily announcements, sports games, and upcoming events.

“This TV is just for the high school,” Amos said, “it will broadcast information regarding what the Morning Ex is, sports and club information, and senate topics. We are maybe going to put one up on the 3rd floor.”

Another use of the screens, according to Junior Max Moog, who is the head of Student Government TV, is to broadcast student government resolutions and important information.  This would be broadcasted during and after student government to show numbers and polls on what happened that day.

“There are thoughts that Senate may project the information during Senate,” Moog said. “We aren’t really sure if that’s going to happen yet.”

Finally, Amos discussed another possible use the new TV can provide, “Maybe we can broadcast March Madness live for students to watch in the halls,” he said, “but I haven’t made that decision yet.”