2019 Fall Sports End

Captains and Other Athletes Reflect on the Year

The fall athletics season has come to a close and athletes have headed back to P.E., many of whom are waiting for winter sports to start. The fall season included Boys Soccer, Girls Field Hockey, Girls Volleyball, Boys Golf, Girls Tennis, and Cross Country. 

The Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey Team was one of the highlights of this year’s fall season, finishing with a record of 16-4. The team made it to Sectionals, after beating Highland Park 2-1 in the regional game. They eventually lost to Lake Forest High School by a score of 5-0. The team was led by senior captains Senna Gardner, Lauren Hughes, and Lauryn Rauschenberger. 

Captain Senna Gardner thought the season was a total success. “This season has been one of the best seasons in Parker Field Hockey history,” Gardner said. “Over the course of the whole season we only lost to two teams, and they were ranked both second and third in the state. Our team worked well together both on and off the field, and we all got super close by the end of the season. We were like a family.”

The JV Field Hockey team finished with a record of 4-2-2. 

The Boys’ Varsity Soccer Team finished with a record of 9-8-4. The team made it to Sectionals, winning both of their regional games, one against Rickover  Academy with a score of 4-1, and another against Latin 3-1. 

The team also won against Latin at their homecoming.

Parker’s rally came to an end in the Sectional Semifinal when they lost 2-0 to North Shore Country Day School. Captains Tomas Catoggio, Oscar Fardon, Daniel Mansueto, and Ryan Humphrey, who was also the leading goalscorer, led the team. Sophomore Tyler Maling was also a notable player this season. Four freshmen played on the Varsity team: Charles Fardon, Gray Joseph, Lucas Daskal, and Emre Emanet.

Captain Daniel Mansueto had mixed feelings about the season. “It ended earlier than ideal, but everybody had a great time and the team culture improved,” Mansueto said. “There are a lot of positive things to come.”

The JV Blue team finished with a record of 7-7, showing promise. The JV White team finished with a record of 1-6. 

The Girls’ Varsity Volleyball Team finished with a record of 8-11. The team made it to sectionals, beating Josephinum 2-0 and Holy Trinity 2-1 at Regionals. Their playoff hopes ended when they lost to Immaculate Conception College Prep at Sectionals. The team was led by junior captain Asha Wright and senior captains Ren Habiby and Alex Ori. 

Wright was generally satisfied with the result of the season. “It was a great season and we were able to win Regionals for the first time in six years,” Wright said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t get very far in the Sectionals, but overall I’m very proud of how we played this year.”

The Girls’ JV Volleyball Team finished without a win this year.

The Golf Team finished with a record of 2-6. The team was led by senior captain Scottie Ingall, and junior captain Nick Skok.

“The golf team had a great season,” Ingall said. “With the addition of new coaches, each player improved immensely. Although our record wasn’t great, each player made great strides to improve their game. I am also very happy with the captains’ postseason performance.”

The Girls Tennis team had a strong season, finishing with a record of 6-3. This team was led by captains Lily Koltun and Lindsay Carlin. 

Sophomore Rebecca Bellick finished fourth at Sectionals, advancing to the State Finals, where she finished in the top 16. 

The Cross Country Team’s eight boys raced at Sectionals, along with sophomore Kate Allen-Study. No runners this year made it to state. The Boys’ Cross Country team was headed by captain Nathan Siskel.

According to several captains, it was a solid start to the year for Parker athletics.