Homecoming Volleyball

Home Turf Victory

Photo credit: Camryn Oliff

Senior Emma Stein, senior Corinth Jackson, and sophomore More Fabiyi play in the volleyball homecoming game.

On September 26, Parker’s varsity volleyball team won their homecoming match against Southland Prep, winning the first game 25-14, losing the second 28-26, and winning the best out of three matches in the final game, 25-16. Varsity captain, junior Leigh Logan, who also plays outside of school, had seven kills and 15 aces in the game. The junior varsity team, who played before varsity, lost both games of their match, 25-22 and 25-13.

Before the game Logan said the varsity squad is “much better than last year.The team has faced Southland Prep for the homecoming game for the past three years, emerging victorious in the 2013 season but losing in 2014.

“I’m proud,” said senior Taylor Thompson. “We played with tenacity and dedication.” Thompson, a varsity captain and outside hitter, has played in the homecoming game all four years of high school. Parker having lost to Southland Prep last homecoming was on her mind all pre-game. “I was really worried that it was going to happen again, on my last year.” Thompson said.

At game time, the bleachers in the big gym were filled with parents and other fans, often standing and cheering their home team on. “The homecoming game is where most people show up, which is what we need,” Lili Bravo, a sophomore junior varsity player for the team, said. Bravo starts on the squad.

Sophomore Priscilla Roman, who also starts on the junior varsity squad, expressed her views. “The team could work on skill in general, and the coaches need to be more energetic.” Roman said, when asked about the state of the team before homecoming.

On the other hand, Logan has enjoyed working with the new coaches.

“It’s been really great working with this new set of coaches,” Logan said. “I hope they come back next year.”

Head varsity coach Chris Riff said his team was ready for homecoming. “Leigh and Taylor, my captains,” Riff said when asked who have been the leaders of the team lately. “They’re playing the best volleyball I’ve seen them play.”