Senior Moment

Admins Plan for Fulfilling Senior Experience

Photo credit: Anna Fuder

This banner hangs on Clark Street in front of Circle Drive as part of Parker’s efforts to honor and celebrate the senior class during the pandemic.

Each year, on top of having an in-person graduation ceremony, Parker seniors end their time at Parker as a class, having Senior Ditch Day, going on an all grade retreat, and spending countless hours seeing one another in the halls of the school. Unlike in the years past, this year’s seniors did not get that opportunity. Instead, they abruptly said goodbye to the school on Friday, March 13, and then were asked to formally conclude their time at Parker through online forums.  

Like many seniors, 14-year Parker student, Maddie Friedman, is unsure of how to say a proper goodbye to her classmates, teachers, and to the school she has been at for most of her life. “It’s really weird because I don’t know when or how to say goodbye,” Friedman said. “Sadly, there really is no way to make everything go away and have it be the ideal situation.” 

This year, in an effort to celebrate the seniors, for the first time in years, Parker seniors had their last day of school on Friday, May 29, a week before the school year was set to officially conclude. In place of finals week, the Class of 2020 had the opportunity to go to Parker for their last time as students, take their senior portrait photo, clean out their locker, and say goodbye to the building. 

Upper School Dean of Student Life Joe Bruno helped to coordinate this week to ensure that the seniors were able to conclude their time at Parker in the best way possible. “We have some fun goodies and surprises in store for them,” Bruno said. “Then, they will each have about 15 minutes to take one last lap through this school as a Parker student.”

Senior grade head and music teacher Emma Castaldi wished the seniors could sign yearbooks together in school. “On the week of June 1, we were hoping the seniors would at least get to sign each others’ yearbooks at that time, but I don’t think the yearbooks will be in by that time unfortunately,” Castaldi said. “It is their own time slot, so they unfortunately can’t be with anyone else, so it is a last moment for them to take in the school and do a few activities.”  

On top of all that the Parker teachers and administrators have been doing to celebrate the class of 2020, Parker parent grade chairs have also found unique ways to honor the graduates. Throughout the month of April, the six senior parent grade chairs compiled “Senior Shout Outs” for each student that included a montage of photos from their time at Parker. These videos were then sent out to the whole school as a way of honoring each student.  

Like schools across the country, Parker students and faculty members have spent countless hours coordinating the best way for the Class of 2020 to conclude their year and graduate. In addition to going to the Parker building during their designated time slot on the week of June 1, Parker is hosting a virtual diploma conferral and celebration of the graduates on Saturday, June 6, the day in-person graduation was set to be held. “We held a senior Town Hall,” Bruno said. “We also formed a senior committee. We sent out a senior survey and we worked very closely with the six parent grade chairs as well as input from teachers and administration. So, with all of that feedback, we thought that the best thing was that they at least get their degrees conferred to honor and celebrate the date of June 6.”

Friedman has been contemplating the legal limits on these culminating activities. “I feel like the complicated part of all of this is that as much as everyone wanted to have a say in how we end our year, it is really up to the governor and Illinois laws,” Friedman said. “We are a school, and there are laws about how and when we can hold graduation, and there’s no way around that.”

In addition to holding a virtual diploma conferral on June 6, according to Bruno, Parker is planning to hold a “senior weekend” on the weekend of August 1. “We were very adamant in wanting to reserve June 6 as the date that they graduated and date that they got their degree from Parker,” Castaldi said. “A lot of people kept wanting to postpone it, but we were concerned that if we kept postponing it, we would never really get to the conferral of the degree in person.” 

If gatherings are allowed by August 1, Parker is planning to have every senior come to school on Saturday, August 1 for a day-long retreat, followed by a formal dinner and dance in place of prom. Following these events, on Sunday, August 2, there will be a graduation and family lunch on the field to commemorate the graduating class. Although seniors are glad that Parker is planning to host an in-person celebration, many are unsure if gathering will even be allowed this summer. “We just want things to go back to normal,” Friedman said. “But I know that can’t happen.” 

According to Bruno, if an in-person graduation cannot happen this summer, there are tentative plans in place to host a cap and gown ceremony for the Class of 2020 in the fall. “If restrictions are not lifted by this summer, we will do something over Thanksgiving or Winter Break,” Bruno said. “Whenever students are able to gather together as a class again.” 

Friedman is looking forward to seeing all of her classmates again. “I’m still really hoping that we can get to that later date for graduation and say goodbye to everyone one last time,” Friedman said.