Soccer Through the Decades

Varsity Boys Play Practice Games Against Alumni
  • Max Keller ’23 shields the ball

Photo credit: NFHS Network
  • Alumni team warmup

Photo credit: Sam Forst
  • Gray Joseph and Caleb Aklilu fight for the ball

Photo credit: Sam Forst

On August 5th, Parker’s soccer team began their pre-season. Each day, athletes would attend two practices, both for two hours or more. But, only on Saturdays, does the team practice full game scenarios, or “11’s.” During these days, the varsity team plays a mixture of coaches and alumni, which turns Saturday into “a mix of both good practice, and a lot of fun,” varsity player and junior Sam Simon said.

The alumni players range from having just graduated to having played decades ago. The scrimmages give the opportunity for both players and alumni to catch up with each other while playing a sport they love. “There is a festive mood throughout the entire day,” varsity soccer captain and junior Malik Griffin said.

“The alumni team consists of mostly former members of the starting 11, so they are a formidable team to play against ” varsity member and junior Teo Kiep said. 

“The group of alumni are about as good as some of the stronger teams we hope to play against and beat this year,” Griffin said. He appreciated the chance to see how the team works as a whole and preview how the tougher games will go.. 

The first time the two teams faced each other, current members of Parker’s varsity team came out victorious with a score of 5-2. “Our last game against the alumni proves how much we can accomplish this season,” Griffin said. “Now we just have to perform at that same level until the season ends in October.”