Suicide Prevention Walkout

Upper School students dedicate time to spreading awareness in honor of Suicide Prevention Week

National Suicide Prevention Week begins with World Suicide Prevention Day on September 10 and ends September 16. 

On Friday, September 29, in place of Morning Ex and advisory, students and faculty met in the Draft Gym to create signs of awareness to carry as they contributed to a symbolic walk around Webster. This walk was optional, but highly encouraged. 

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention acknowledges the entire month of September as National Suicide Prevention Month. This is a time in which people can come together as communities to create awareness around this cause of death and inspire people continuously to learn how they can play a role in helping to save the lives of friends, loved ones, and strangers. National Suicide Prevention Month allows everyone to share special moments and appreciation for a  sensitive topic that affects us all. As human beings and young adults, people in Chicago  need to send a clear message that help is available to anyone who needs it. Suicide can be prevented, and anyone can get all the support they might need.

If you know someone who needs help, or you yourself are struggling with mental health, please call 988 to access and speak to a member of the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.