The student news site of Francis W. Parker School

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

To Learn and to Practice

Upper Schoolers Attend Student Diversity Leadership Conference
Photo credit: Pau Maset Josa
Upper Schoolers at the City Museum in St. Louis while attending the Student Diversity Leadership Conference.

From November 29 through December 2, students were given the opportunity to participate in the Student Diversity Leadership Conference. This year was the 25th anniversary of the Student Diversity Leadership Conference (SDLC).

This year, the symposium was held in St. Louis, Missouri, and this year’s theme was “Bending the Arc Toward Justice: Radical Optimism, Transformational Joy, Resilience, and Brilliance.”  This conference is a space for a multiracial, multicultural gathering of student leaders from eligible independent high schools across the U.S. and abroad. 

“The conference was the most amazing experience I’ve ever had,” said senior Pau Maset. “We spent the conference learning and discussing diversity based on issues at our schools and across the globe.” 

Last May, Dean of Upper School, Joe Bruno, released an email to 9th-12th grade containing the information and application for SDLC. Applications were due that same week and read by Mr. Bruno, along with several other members of the faculty. If you’re interested in attending in the future, keep an eye out for an email later in the year.

SDLC focuses on self-reflection and forming allies, and one of its main goals is to learn and practice building a community. Along with having group sessions, the conference offers smaller units they call “family” and “home” groups where students can share their experiences and thoughts with smaller groups of people. 

All of these groups are led by a diverse team of trained adult and peer facilitators, who aid the students in developing cross-cultural communication skills, designing effective strategies for social justice practice through dialogue and the arts, and learning the foundations of networking and allyship.   

“I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in exploring SLDC!” Pau said.