From Parker to Private Practice

Meet Parker Alumnus Paul Adelstein
Photo credit: Parker school
Adelstein acts in Parker production of “Fiddler on the Roof,” 1987.

Many Parker students have watched ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” and the popular spinoff show,Private Practice.” However not many know that Paul Adelstein, Parker class of ‘87, was a series regular in “Private Practice.” An actor and writer, Adelstein has been involved in many popular films and shows. He played Cooper Freedman in ABC’s “Private Practice” and in two episodes of ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” he played Paul Kellerman in Fox’s “Prison Break,” and Ted in the 2022 horror/thriller film “The Menu.” 

For those unfamiliar, “Private Practice” is a medical drama created by Shonda Rhimes that ran for six years, in which a group of doctors run a co-op medical practice in Los Angeles. Adelstein acted alongside Kate Walsh, who played neonatal surgeon Addison Montgomery. Adelstein and Walsh already knew each other before the show. Back in Chicago, the two waited tables, as well as took theater classes and workshops together. “It was an incredible group of people, and it was incredibly challenging material. That was just a dream. I’m still really close with all these people,” Adelstein said.

Parker’s various opportunities to participate in theater allowed Adelstein to explore his passion for acting. “I remember at Parker, there was a freshman play, an eighth grade play, there was just a lot of opportunity to pursue it. I mean sophomore year, when we did the musical, the whole school came out. It was just really exciting,” Adelstein said. Parker alumni and parent Rachel Bradley Sullivan was also a member of Parker’s performing arts community. Additionally she acted alongside Adelstein. “​​I performed in several plays with Paul back in the 80s. Two I remember most were ‘Bury the Dead’ and ‘Fiddler on the Roof.’ I was a few years below him, and had always thought he was so talented. And so nice! I feel so lucky to have acted with him, and would love to again.”

Throughout Adelstein’s career, one of his best experiences has been his time on “Private Practice.” Though acting is often more waiting to act than actually acting, Adelstein considered “Private Practice” to have been a role in which there was very little waiting. Adelstein said, “There was so much acting per square inch every day, and I did more acting in one day than I had done in any episode, previously, of any other show.” Initially, Adelstein was cast in the role of cardiothoracic surgeon Preston Burke in “Grey’s Anatomy,” but he had to back out due to a conflict. The producers of “Private Practice” remembered him when the show was being created and requested he audition for the role of Cooper Freedman.

Recently, Adelstein played Paul Chambers in Freeform’s murder mystery show “Cruel Summer.” He also worked on a Marvel show called “Agatha,” a spinoff of “WandaVision” which is scheduled to release in late 2024. In April, Adelstein shot an indie movie that took place in his hometown of Chicago. 

Though many people don’t maintain much of a connection to their alma mater, Adelstein keeps Parker close to him. “Some of my closest friends went there, and I still talk to them every day. I think about Parker all the time, it was a really formative place for me. The things I learned about theater, about writing, about critical thinking, are all still a big part of my life.”