Spreading Warmth and Love for the Winter

Parker Junior Organizes Winter Accessory Drive

Resting against the black pillar in the lobby, facing away from the front doors, is an off-white rectangular box. A sign, which reads “Maddy’s Mittens for Love” in a gray font with a pair of mittens connected by a heart sitting directly to its left, is centered on the box’s largest visible face. Large enough to be noticed by students, teachers, and parents passing by, but small enough not to obstruct their paths as they hurry through the hallway, the box waits to be filled with warm apparel and accessories as another Chicago winter approaches.

The sign and the box advertise a project brought to Parker by junior Maddy May–collecting winter items for students in need. Beginning November 7, and running through Thanksgiving, May aimed to help students in Chicago’s North Lawndale neighborhood by bringing them winter gear which they may not be able to afford.

May got the idea from a tradition started in her household. “When I was little, my mom and I used to donate presents to kids at the Dvorak School, which is on the South Side,” May said. “I wanted to do something more this year, so I decided to do a mitten drive–not just mittens, but mittens, gloves, hats, and any winter accessories–and give them to students K-12 at the school.”

The Dvorak School of Excellence, which has 458 enrolled students according to their website, is a part of the Academy for Urban School Leadership Network, a non-profit organization which currently oversees 31 Chicago Public Schools. The organization, which manages schools mainly on the South and West sides of the city, aims to transform the lowest-performing schools in the city through teacher training and raised expectations.

Although this is May’s first time leading a drive at Parker, she has already built up a considerable network of support to raise awareness about her cause and objective. “I’m sponsored by Net-A-Porter, which is a clothing and accessory website, and then I’m also sponsored by Kindle Communications, which is my mom’s company,” May said.  “I’m just trying to get the word out to other people besides those at Parker so that I can get more donations.”

May wants to leave a large impact on the community receiving the donations. “Right now we probably have 500 winter items,” she said, “and I’m expecting to double that.”