Parker Reacts to 2018 Midterms

Students and Faculty Share Their Thoughts About the Historic Election Cycle

Freshman Othel Owen discusses the Illinois gubernatorial election

Illinois:

Illinois Attorney General: Democrat Kwame Raoul (54.3%) defeated Republican Erika Harold (43.2%) and Libertarian Bubba Harsy (2.5%)

Photo Courtesy of Chicago Tribune

Around Parker:

“I knew Kwame Raoul for thirty years. I used to play basketball with him, we went to the same high school: Lab school. He’s a good guy. I hope he does a good job. I was a little worried that he was taking donations from people that he’s going to be regulating. We need less corruption in Illinois.” — Daniel Greenstone (history teacher)

“I’m happy that Raoul won because I felt that, given that this is the 21st century, Harold’s policies were too conservative.” — Wilson Cedillo (11th)

“I am glad that Kwame Raoul won the election. I think that he has some really good ideas for Illinois.” – Emme Silverman (10th)

Illinois Gubernatorial: Democrat J.B. Pritzker (54.2%) defeated incumbent Republican Bruce Rauner (39.2%), Conservative Party member Sam McCann (4.3%), and Libertarian Kash Jackson (2.4%).

Photo courtesy of the Daily Northwestern

Around Parker:

“I expected that to happen. Illinois is a blue state and money seems to be equivalent to power in politics today. He made Rauner look like chump change.” — Rohan Jain (11th)

“I think that it is a step in the right direction for the State of Illinois.” — Othel Owen (9th)

National Snapshots:

Georgia Gubernatorial: Brian Kemp (50.3%)—as of Thursday, November 8—is leading Stacey Abrams (48.7%) and Libertarian Ted Metz (0.9%).

Photo Courtesy of Vox

Around Parker:

“Her campaign I found very interesting because of the fact that a Democrat did as well as she did, particularly considering the controversies around Brian Kemp being the attorney general and some of the issues involving disenfranchising certain voters. It’s definitely a troubling case in many ways, so I guess we’ll see how that turns out.” — Anthony Shaker (history teacher)

“That would be so amazing to have an African-American governor in Georgia. I’m rooting for her.” — Bonnie Seebold (English teacher)

“The election was a lot of firsts for a lot of different states and a lot of different people and I think that overall a lot of good things happened” – Nathalie San Fratello (10th)  

Texas (US) Senate: Republican Ted Cruz (50.9%) defeated Democrat Beto O’Rourke (48.3%) and Libertarian Neal Dikeman (0.8%).

Photo Courtesy of the Associated Press

Around Parker:

“Having lived there, I’d say it’s surprising to see that there could be that kind of support for a Democrat in that state. It’s impressive. It’s heartwarming to see that minds can change, especially in a place so partisan.” — Aaron Lee (computer science teacher)

“I think it’s really great that Beto got such a good turnout in Texas, which is a really red state. Personally, I was disappointed by Cruz’s victory. I think that there was a lot of support for Beto and that people expected him to win, especially since many people dislike Ted Cruz and his policies.” — Maya Belcove (10th)

“I thought that he was going to lose from the start, so I wasn’t surprised. I was surprised that it was so close, I thought it was going to be a 46-50 election. It was much closer than I thought.” — Grayson Z Kamin Schementi (10th)

Other:

“It’s exciting to me to be at a place that is so engaged about the election. We’re a democracy school. Folks in every department are so engaged, and it keeps me engaged. It has life for me because of where I’m at right now.” — Christian Bielizna (US Dean of Student Life)

“I would say the Democrats did really well and I’m happy, obviously, I think mathematically they couldn’t really get the Senate, but they won the house, and I think that’s enough power to check the president. It’s also a good opportunity for the country to come together and be bipartisan.” — Eli Moog (9th)

“I’m really glad that there were a lot of people of color running. Diversity is good.” — Christian Navas (12th)