Programming to Close the Gap

Parker Strives for Stronger Computer Science Curriculum

Photo credit: Sammy Kagan

Upper School computer science teacher Aaron Lee has spearheaded a number of initiatives to expand Parker’s STEM curriculum. In Programming II, as seen above, Lee teaches students advanced elements of Python and the basics of other languages, like HTML and CSS.

According to code.org, there is no skill in higher demand for people entering the workforce than computer programming, and it leads the workforce in new wages in the United States. Schools across the country have developed computer science programs to edge out the competition, and Parker is growing its own program in hopes to provide their students with the skills they need to be competitive.

Integrated Learning and Information Science (ILIS) Department Chair and Librarian Annette Lesak is familiar with the opportunities available for students coming out of school with experience in coding. “I think we have this vision of coding software or apps,” Lesak said. “In reality, half of computer programming jobs are outside of the tech industry in the finance sector, manufacturing, and health care.”

According to Lesak, there are added benefits that come along with learning the type of thinking necessary to be a successful coder. “Computer science develops one’s computational fluency and logical thinking,” Lesak said. “Coding is a tool to help us communicate and analyze information in a new way, and it can be used for designing solutions to all types of problems.”

As for programming at Parker, Upper School Computer Science teacher Aaron Lee is confident that, by mandating a computer programming credit, Parker wellequips students to have basic proficiency in coding when they graduate. “I think that everybody should be exposed to some form of coding before leaving Parker,” Lee said. “It provides another way of thinking about the world, and a new way to problem solve.”

The coding language that the school currently teaches is “Python.” The Computer Programming I class is a required credit beginning with the class of 2021, so all students are exposed to coding at a basic level. The classes that are available as of now are “Intro to Computer Programming,” and Computer Programming II.”

“I like that I’m being taught skills that can directly be used in my future,” sophomore Jonah Gross said. Gross had no experience in coding prior to taking coding at Parker, but while fulfilling his newfound requirement, he found that he is fascinated by it. According to Gross, taking the Computer Programming I and II course has given him a strong base to take with him once he leaves Parker. “Whether that be in college or in a future career path, I think that coding is a very good skill to have,Gross said.

For students who have completed Computer Programming I, there is a full slate of elective courses that the department is aiming to implement as soon as possible, upon the addition of new teachers. The electives that the school plans to run in the coming years include Physical Computing, Web Development, Mobile App Development, and others. “We are focused on meeting the one semester graduation requirement for students,” Lee said. “At this time, the school does not have the capacity to offer the full slate of electives.”

These elective classes cannot be run due to a shortage of teachers. “We are hopefully going to have another computer programming teacher,” Lesak said. “I’ve talked to the administration and they understand the need for it.” Adding a new computer programming teacher will allow for the additional elective courses to be added. It will also give more time for the teachers to do more collaborative projects with other departments in the school.

“All of the curriculum is essentially ready to go,” Lee said. “In the past four years, I have developed curriculum for Intro to Programming, Programming II, Web Development, Physical Computing, Mobile Apps, and Robotics.”

As times change, and demand for people with coding knowledge grows, Parker will continue to adapt its coding program to stay ahead of the curve, and ensure that there are plentiful opportunities for students to gain experience before they graduate. “I am confident that further growth will be supported that will match the demand and needs of the Parker student,” Lee said. “I’m excited about how far the program has come in a few short years, and I am looking forward to what’s next.”