A Lesson In Censorship

Teachers and students from 5th through 12th grades recently gathered for an informative Morning Ex to formally kick off Banned Books Week. Photo courtesy of the Francis W. Parker Twitter.

Parker’s annual Banned Books Week kicked off on Monday, September 23, with Parker teachers Cory Zeller, David Fuder and Annette Lesak presenting a Morning Ex to the entire Middle and Upper School. The presenters were joined on stage by seniors Ava Stepan and James Leet as they welcomed the week with the history of banned books. 

Stepan and Leet are currently students in Zeller’s Literature and Censorship class, which focuses on the importance of banned books within a society. The course description asserts that “we can… learn about a society by studying the literature that it blacklists, bans and censors.” The presenters focused on the history of book bannings and their relevance in today’s world. Stepan also mentioned that the number of books being challenged is increasing at an alarming rate nationwide. 

The ALA, American Library Association, defines a “challenge” as “an attempt to remove or restrict materials, based upon the objections of a person or group.” Each teacher stressed that it is important to read and discuss banned books because they show perspectives that many people and groups within the United States are trying to conceal. 

According to surveys, most banned books are restricted due to contents relating to race, sexuality, religion, encouraging damaging behavior, political bias, and many more. Some books, such as books of the Harry Potter series, have even been banned for the presence of witchcraft. 

As explained in the MX, books are being banned in schools far more than in public libraries; furthermore, books are being challenged by parents rather than the students themselves. This fact has raised many questions: Where is freedom of speech applicable and protected in banning books? What makes certain books unsuitable for students? 

Parker tackled these questions through the celebration of Banned Books Week, in which the Parker community participated in events to expand their horizons, including the MX, a Senate debate about Little House on the Prairie, and decorating the library with a banned books display and censorship posters. The theme of the week was: “Censorship keeps us in the dark, keep the light on.” 

As the week came to a close, faculty stressed how crucial it is for Parker students to identify what initiative they can take to perpetuate the mission of this week. The ALA Office for Intellectual  Freedom recommends that students stay informed about the controversy surrounding banned books, write a letter to their favorite banned author, create content addressing censorship, spread the word about their right to read and exercise their right to read banned books.