The student news site of Francis W. Parker School

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

Cell Phone and Attendance Policies

Balancing Distractions and Accountability in the Classroom
Photo credit: The Parker Weekly

Smartphones have become an essential part of our daily lives providing quick access to information and keeping us connected with friends and family. Recently, Parker reinforced existing policies and created changes to the cell phone policy, requiring students to keep their phones off and in their backpacks during class. In hindsight, by keeping phones in our backpacks, students are less likely to be distracted by notifications and social media updates, allowing them to stay focused on the task at hand. However, I do have some concerns about the policy, particularly in emergency situations when students have no way of knowing if something is going on when their phone is tucked away.

According to Ms. Zeller, “In case of an emergency, parents should be contacting the school… We also don’t want a student getting an emergency call without an adult knowing, so calling the Upper School office or the front office is the best way to go anyway.” I do understand that the parents should contact the school in case of an emergency, but I do not always believe that will be the best way to handle the various emergency situations that could possibly occur. It takes time for information to get from the parents, to the office, and straight to a student when the student doesn’t have their phone on them. Of course, some of the emergencies that require attention from the student aren’t as likely to happen on a day-to-day basis, However, when it does happen, having phones in our backpacks will make it a lot harder for the students to know what is happening. 

In my opinion, the new changes to the handbook policies are beneficial for keeping students focused and engaged during classes. However, I am unsure if they were necessary. From my experience, cell phone distraction has not been a significant issue in class, so I question if these policies were created to address a real problem or just as a cautionary measure. 

Throughout my classes from the first few weeks of school, I’ve seen heavy restrictions on the phone rule. Because this policy is still relatively fresh in our minds, in my opinion, teachers and students alike have been proactively following the new handbook rules. However, I still question how this will hold up throughout the rest of the school year. Over time, I believe students and teachers will become less strict over the rules without consistent reminders.

Something I’ve seen happen in class is the debate about whether or not students should be allowed to use their phones to take pictures of the board or in-class notes. When asking Ms. Zeller, she said, “The default should be that they’re put away. But if a teacher, says feel free to take out your phone to take a picture, or we’re going to play a game, or whatever the case may be, it’s totally okay.” From my perspective, I believe that this change makes sense, as it hands more control over to the teachers in relation to what their students should or should not be doing with their phones.

Nevertheless, the cell phone policy will do a lot of good for Parker students. Whether it be greater in-class participation, or the development of new friendships through real human interactions, this new policy should help our community.

Another policy affected by the handbook changes is the attendance policy. When I asked Ms. Zeller about the changes, she wanted to remind us that we are returning to the pre-Covid times. “The update is going back to holding students accountable.” Now, attendance notifications will be sent out to students each time they reach another quarter of the permissible absences allowed for a semester.

Not only will students receive warnings for courses, but students will also receive warnings if they’re missing community events. Considering the lack of concern people had for attendance in the past, I have high hopes that this change will make a significant impact on attendance in the Upper School. 

Community events are vital to our school, and proper attendance from everyone is something I’ve always hoped for. I’m so excited about this change because I love Student Government, and I believe that everyone should be giving it a chance. When people are skipping and not paying attention to what is happening, they’ll never even have the opportunity to see if they enjoy it.

It is clear that the updates to the handbook policies will contribute to a more productive and engaged learning atmosphere. Although I have voiced minor concerns about the cell phone policy, it is, of course, necessary for me to acknowledge the advantages of reducing distractions. As for the attendance policy, it is encouraging to see the school taking a more assertive stance in ensuring that students are responsible for their attendance and involvement in classes and community activities.