Face the Music

Music Committee’s Impeachment Fails

Students stare anxiously at the clock, watching as the minute hand inches slowly towards the end of class. The familiar soft sound of music erupts from the speakers, permitting students to pack up their supplies as the teacher wraps up for the day. They rush from class to class, The Beatles or Jason Mraz guiding their schedule.

In the past few months, students have had to rely on their teachers to wrap up each class on time and without a consistent bell marking the passing period.

According to Parliamentarian Julia Auerbach, any student government official can be impeached. To establish a process of penalizing Music Committee, a member of the assembly gathered twenty-five signatures in favor of impeachment. This would place Music Committee on a thirty day probation period in which they report to Cabinet on their progress. Though this vote does not remove them from office, there would be a Special Election held at the end of the period. The vote in plenary needed a ⅔ majority and failed, dismissing the impeachment and probation.

Director of Committee Affairs Chad White read a list of grievances found against Music Committee, which includes their failure to play music consistently and explicit songs when they do, and the absence of blogs or forums as promised in their platform.
Head Eli Moog apologized for Music Committee’s actions and explained their plans for the next few months. “We’ve reached out to a couple of Parker artists, including Jaylen Benjamin and the Burns twins, to create a forum on how to create playlists, ” Moog said. “Every Friday we’re going to start sending out emails about music in Chicago and events that students can attend.”

Junior Wilson Cedillo was one of the many students who voted against impeachment. “Instead of actually getting impeached, this just gave them a break, which would be worse, “ Cedillo said. “If they were actually going to be impeached, I would have voted differently, but this wouldn’t have done anything.”

Ultimately, the Student Body voted not to impeach Music Committee, though many students believe that they were wrong not to do so.

“If they do have a plan for afterward, it makes sense that we follow through with impeachment and if they have more grievances, they’ll be kicked out,” senior Olivia Garg said. “There is no downside to impeachment because it will either further improve them or take them out.”